May 7, 2014, 4:20 PM EST
After putting together a record of 49-47 in his first three seasons as the head coach at Texas A&M, Billy Kennedy made the decision to change things up on his coaching staff. Glynn Cyprien and John Reese weren’t retained, and as a result Kennedy had two spots on his staff to fill heading into the summer.
After hiring Amir Abdur-Rahim to fill one vacancy, it’s been reported by multiple outlets that Kennedy will add a coach familiar with the SEC to complete his staff.
According to both Logan Lee of TexAgs.com and Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com, Texas A&M will hire former Mississippi State head coach Rick Stansbury to be an assistant on Kennedy’s staff. Stansbury spent 14 seasons in Starkville, putting together a record of 293-166 and leading the Bulldogs to six NCAA tournament appearances.
Stansbury and Abdur-Rahim join Kyle Keller, the lone holdover from the 2013-14 coaching staff, as Kennedy’s assistants heading into the 2014-15 season.
The addition of Stansbury gives Kennedy a coach not only well-versed in coaching in the SEC but also a solid recruiter, which will help Texas A&M as it looks to improve its standing within the conference. Because while football has certainly adjusted well to its new surroundings, the same can’t be said for the basketball program. Texas A&M has made just one postseason tournament appearance during Kennedy’s tenure, reaching the CBI this past season.
- Temple embarrasses No. 10 Kansas by 25 points 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 2
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)