May 7, 2014, 4:20 PM EST
After putting together a record of 49-47 in his first three seasons as the head coach at Texas A&M, Billy Kennedy made the decision to change things up on his coaching staff. Glynn Cyprien and John Reese weren’t retained, and as a result Kennedy had two spots on his staff to fill heading into the summer.
After hiring Amir Abdur-Rahim to fill one vacancy, it’s been reported by multiple outlets that Kennedy will add a coach familiar with the SEC to complete his staff.
According to both Logan Lee of TexAgs.com and Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com, Texas A&M will hire former Mississippi State head coach Rick Stansbury to be an assistant on Kennedy’s staff. Stansbury spent 14 seasons in Starkville, putting together a record of 293-166 and leading the Bulldogs to six NCAA tournament appearances.
Stansbury and Abdur-Rahim join Kyle Keller, the lone holdover from the 2013-14 coaching staff, as Kennedy’s assistants heading into the 2014-15 season.
The addition of Stansbury gives Kennedy a coach not only well-versed in coaching in the SEC but also a solid recruiter, which will help Texas A&M as it looks to improve its standing within the conference. Because while football has certainly adjusted well to its new surroundings, the same can’t be said for the basketball program. Texas A&M has made just one postseason tournament appearance during Kennedy’s tenure, reaching the CBI this past season.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)