May 7, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
Oklahoma State transfer Brian Williams will attend Louisiana-Lafayette for his final season of eligibility, according to multiple reports.
Williams averaged 6.2 points and 3.4 boards for the Cowboys this past season, but left the program at the same time as Marcus Smart and Markel Brown after seeing his playing tie cut down the stretch of the season.
Williams is a redshirt junior and graduated this semester, meaning that he will be able to play immediately for the Ragin’ Cajuns. That’s big news for head coach Bob Marlin. UL is coming off of a trip to the NCAA tournament, and while they return center Shawn Long, who averaged a double-double his first two seasons, they lose Elfrid Payton, who declared for the NBA Draft and could end up being taken in the first round.
Williams isn’t going to be replacing Payton’s production offensively, but he’s a next-level athlete on the wing that will really help on the defensive end of the floor.
Williams is a native of Baton Rouge, La.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)