May 8, 2014, 12:19 AM EST
While new USF head coach Orlando Antigua has plenty of experience as an assistant, the 2014-15 season will be his first when it comes to running a college program. And when that’s the case, an assistant with head coaching experience at the Division I level can be invaluable. On Wednesday it was announced that Antigua has hired former FIU head coach Sergio Rouco, thus filling out his coaching staff.
Rouco, who was a member of Andy Kennedy’s staff at Ole Miss, has more than two decades of coaching experience and is a native of Florida (Miami). Rouco served as head coach at FIU from 2006-09, and he’ll be joining Oliver Antigua and Rod Strickland on the USF coaching staff.
“Sergio has over 25 years of coaching experience at the Division I level,” Orlando Antigua said in the release. “He has great recruiting connections not just in the state of Florida, but around the world, which will greatly benefit our program.”
The 2013-14 season was a tough one for USF, as they won just 12 games and finished the season on a nine-game losing streak. The absence of starting point guard Anthony Collins, who played in just eight games due to a knee injury, didn’t help matters but he’ll be back to lead the way for the Bulls.
USF has also added five newcomers, with incoming freshman guard Troy Holston the most highly regarded of the group.
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)