May 8, 2014, 12:19 AM EDT
While new USF head coach Orlando Antigua has plenty of experience as an assistant, the 2014-15 season will be his first when it comes to running a college program. And when that’s the case, an assistant with head coaching experience at the Division I level can be invaluable. On Wednesday it was announced that Antigua has hired former FIU head coach Sergio Rouco, thus filling out his coaching staff.
Rouco, who was a member of Andy Kennedy’s staff at Ole Miss, has more than two decades of coaching experience and is a native of Florida (Miami). Rouco served as head coach at FIU from 2006-09, and he’ll be joining Oliver Antigua and Rod Strickland on the USF coaching staff.
“Sergio has over 25 years of coaching experience at the Division I level,” Orlando Antigua said in the release. “He has great recruiting connections not just in the state of Florida, but around the world, which will greatly benefit our program.”
The 2013-14 season was a tough one for USF, as they won just 12 games and finished the season on a nine-game losing streak. The absence of starting point guard Anthony Collins, who played in just eight games due to a knee injury, didn’t help matters but he’ll be back to lead the way for the Bulls.
USF has also added five newcomers, with incoming freshman guard Troy Holston the most highly regarded of the group.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)