May 8, 2014, 12:19 AM EDT
While new USF head coach Orlando Antigua has plenty of experience as an assistant, the 2014-15 season will be his first when it comes to running a college program. And when that’s the case, an assistant with head coaching experience at the Division I level can be invaluable. On Wednesday it was announced that Antigua has hired former FIU head coach Sergio Rouco, thus filling out his coaching staff.
Rouco, who was a member of Andy Kennedy’s staff at Ole Miss, has more than two decades of coaching experience and is a native of Florida (Miami). Rouco served as head coach at FIU from 2006-09, and he’ll be joining Oliver Antigua and Rod Strickland on the USF coaching staff.
“Sergio has over 25 years of coaching experience at the Division I level,” Orlando Antigua said in the release. “He has great recruiting connections not just in the state of Florida, but around the world, which will greatly benefit our program.”
The 2013-14 season was a tough one for USF, as they won just 12 games and finished the season on a nine-game losing streak. The absence of starting point guard Anthony Collins, who played in just eight games due to a knee injury, didn’t help matters but he’ll be back to lead the way for the Bulls.
USF has also added five newcomers, with incoming freshman guard Troy Holston the most highly regarded of the group.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)