May 8, 2014, 12:19 AM EST
While new USF head coach Orlando Antigua has plenty of experience as an assistant, the 2014-15 season will be his first when it comes to running a college program. And when that’s the case, an assistant with head coaching experience at the Division I level can be invaluable. On Wednesday it was announced that Antigua has hired former FIU head coach Sergio Rouco, thus filling out his coaching staff.
Rouco, who was a member of Andy Kennedy’s staff at Ole Miss, has more than two decades of coaching experience and is a native of Florida (Miami). Rouco served as head coach at FIU from 2006-09, and he’ll be joining Oliver Antigua and Rod Strickland on the USF coaching staff.
“Sergio has over 25 years of coaching experience at the Division I level,” Orlando Antigua said in the release. “He has great recruiting connections not just in the state of Florida, but around the world, which will greatly benefit our program.”
The 2013-14 season was a tough one for USF, as they won just 12 games and finished the season on a nine-game losing streak. The absence of starting point guard Anthony Collins, who played in just eight games due to a knee injury, didn’t help matters but he’ll be back to lead the way for the Bulls.
USF has also added five newcomers, with incoming freshman guard Troy Holston the most highly regarded of the group.
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)