May 8, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Days after reports surfaced that shooting guard Namon Wright would request to be released from the National Letter of Intent he signed to attend Missouri, the 2014 prospect announced via his Twitter account that he is now free to speak with other schools. The announcement comes two days after new head coach Kim Anderson was to meet with Wright in southern California.
Wright stated that the meeting went well and he’s still considering Missouri, but he wanted to take the time to be sure that he’s making the right decision.
I will still strongly consider going to Missouri , I just need to make sure I'm in the right situation for me.—
Namon Wright (@kharyw) May 08, 2014
Among the schools that could possibly look to land Wright is Utah, which has a scholarship available after Marko Kovacevic made the decision to return to his native Serbia for family reasons. What could also help the Utes is the presence of rising junior guard Brandon Taylor, who was a teammate of Wright’s at Pacific Hills HS.
Well, Utah offered him before he signed with Missouri in November. Not only that, but Utah point guard Brandon Taylor is a fellow Pacific Hills alum and, [Pacific Hills HS head coach Ivan] Barahona says, so close to Wright that they communicate on a daily basis.
“Brandon has flourished over at Utah,” Barahona said. “He has nothing but positive things to say about the coaching staff, and they’re trending in the right direction.”
Utah, which also returns Delon Wright and Jordan Loveridge as part of a rotation that could make Larry Krystkowiak’s team a contender in the Pac-12 next season, reached the Postseason NIT in 2013-14.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)