May 8, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Days after reports surfaced that shooting guard Namon Wright would request to be released from the National Letter of Intent he signed to attend Missouri, the 2014 prospect announced via his Twitter account that he is now free to speak with other schools. The announcement comes two days after new head coach Kim Anderson was to meet with Wright in southern California.
Wright stated that the meeting went well and he’s still considering Missouri, but he wanted to take the time to be sure that he’s making the right decision.
Among the schools that could possibly look to land Wright is Utah, which has a scholarship available after Marko Kovacevic made the decision to return to his native Serbia for family reasons. What could also help the Utes is the presence of rising junior guard Brandon Taylor, who was a teammate of Wright’s at Pacific Hills HS.
Well, Utah offered him before he signed with Missouri in November. Not only that, but Utah point guard Brandon Taylor is a fellow Pacific Hills alum and, [Pacific Hills HS head coach Ivan] Barahona says, so close to Wright that they communicate on a daily basis.
“Brandon has flourished over at Utah,” Barahona said. “He has nothing but positive things to say about the coaching staff, and they’re trending in the right direction.”
Utah, which also returns Delon Wright and Jordan Loveridge as part of a rotation that could make Larry Krystkowiak’s team a contender in the Pac-12 next season, reached the Postseason NIT in 2013-14.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)