May 8, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Days after reports surfaced that shooting guard Namon Wright would request to be released from the National Letter of Intent he signed to attend Missouri, the 2014 prospect announced via his Twitter account that he is now free to speak with other schools. The announcement comes two days after new head coach Kim Anderson was to meet with Wright in southern California.
Wright stated that the meeting went well and he’s still considering Missouri, but he wanted to take the time to be sure that he’s making the right decision.
Among the schools that could possibly look to land Wright is Utah, which has a scholarship available after Marko Kovacevic made the decision to return to his native Serbia for family reasons. What could also help the Utes is the presence of rising junior guard Brandon Taylor, who was a teammate of Wright’s at Pacific Hills HS.
Well, Utah offered him before he signed with Missouri in November. Not only that, but Utah point guard Brandon Taylor is a fellow Pacific Hills alum and, [Pacific Hills HS head coach Ivan] Barahona says, so close to Wright that they communicate on a daily basis.
“Brandon has flourished over at Utah,” Barahona said. “He has nothing but positive things to say about the coaching staff, and they’re trending in the right direction.”
Utah, which also returns Delon Wright and Jordan Loveridge as part of a rotation that could make Larry Krystkowiak’s team a contender in the Pac-12 next season, reached the Postseason NIT in 2013-14.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 0
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 1
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)