May 8, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
Tennessee guard Robert Hubbs III arrived in Knoxville as one of the nation’s best shooting guards, but unfortunately for the Volunteers they didn’t get to see much of the freshman in action in 2013-14. Due to a shoulder injury Hubbs played in just 12 games, scoring 5.1 points in just over 18 minutes of action per game.
Given the personnel losses incurred this offseason Hubbs would be a key player for new head coach Donnie Tyndall if he decided to remain at Volunteer. And on Thursday night Hubbs announced via his Twitter account that he’ll be returning for his sophomore season, making what has already been a good week for the Tennessee program an even better one.
Hubbs’ announcement comes on the heels of four-star guard Detrick Mostella signing with the program, with Mostella joining guard Kevin Punter and forward Jabari McGhee in Tyndall’s first recruiting class at Tennessee. Add in Josh Richardson (10.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg) and the Volunteers have some quality pieces to build with in 2014-15.
Front court depth, even with the addition of McGhee, remains a concern at this point in time. But given the uncertainty that surrounded the program prior to Tyndall’s hiring, Tennessee’s in a better place now than they were in mid-April.
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 0
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 1
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 7
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 7
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)