May 8, 2014, 10:28 PM EST
Tennessee guard Robert Hubbs III arrived in Knoxville as one of the nation’s best shooting guards, but unfortunately for the Volunteers they didn’t get to see much of the freshman in action in 2013-14. Due to a shoulder injury Hubbs played in just 12 games, scoring 5.1 points in just over 18 minutes of action per game.
Given the personnel losses incurred this offseason Hubbs would be a key player for new head coach Donnie Tyndall if he decided to remain at Volunteer. And on Thursday night Hubbs announced via his Twitter account that he’ll be returning for his sophomore season, making what has already been a good week for the Tennessee program an even better one.
Hubbs’ announcement comes on the heels of four-star guard Detrick Mostella signing with the program, with Mostella joining guard Kevin Punter and forward Jabari McGhee in Tyndall’s first recruiting class at Tennessee. Add in Josh Richardson (10.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg) and the Volunteers have some quality pieces to build with in 2014-15.
Front court depth, even with the addition of McGhee, remains a concern at this point in time. But given the uncertainty that surrounded the program prior to Tyndall’s hiring, Tennessee’s in a better place now than they were in mid-April.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)