May 8, 2014, 11:44 PM EST
When Cincinnati head coach Mick Cronin made the decision in May 2012 to dismiss forward Octavius Ellis from the basketball program, it seemed as if that would be the last time Ellis would wear a Bearcat uniform. Ellis’ time at Cincinnati didn’t lack for turmoil, and as a result he spent the 2013-14 season at Trinity Valley Community College.
Ellis would average 13.1 points and 7.7 rebounds per game in 2012-13, and after reopening his recruitment (he committed to Arizona State in October) the 6-foot-10 forward was in search of a new school. Thursday night it was reported by Chad Brendel of Bearcat Lair that Ellis was one of two junior college products to commit to Cincinnati, with guard Farad Cobb being the other pickup for the Bearcats.
Cobb’s a 6-foot point guard who gives Cincinnati a needed piece at the position, adding depth with both Ge’Lawn Guyn and Troy Caupain seeing time at the point in 2013-14. Cobb attended Northwest Florida State last season, posting averages of 15.1 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game in 2013-14.
From a depth standpoint the return of Ellis is important, as the Bearcats have to account for the loss of both Titus Rubles and Justin Jackson in the front court. And given the losses of Jackson, Rubles and All-American Sean Kilpatrick, Ellis and Cobb will need to be productive if the Bearcats are to make a run at another American Athletic Conference regular season title.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 18
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (19)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)