May 8, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
When Cincinnati head coach Mick Cronin made the decision in May 2012 to dismiss forward Octavius Ellis from the basketball program, it seemed as if that would be the last time Ellis would wear a Bearcat uniform. Ellis’ time at Cincinnati didn’t lack for turmoil, and as a result he spent the 2013-14 season at Trinity Valley Community College.
Ellis would average 13.1 points and 7.7 rebounds per game in 2012-13, and after reopening his recruitment (he committed to Arizona State in October) the 6-foot-10 forward was in search of a new school. Thursday night it was reported by Chad Brendel of Bearcat Lair that Ellis was one of two junior college products to commit to Cincinnati, with guard Farad Cobb being the other pickup for the Bearcats.
Cobb’s a 6-foot point guard who gives Cincinnati a needed piece at the position, adding depth with both Ge’Lawn Guyn and Troy Caupain seeing time at the point in 2013-14. Cobb attended Northwest Florida State last season, posting averages of 15.1 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game in 2013-14.
From a depth standpoint the return of Ellis is important, as the Bearcats have to account for the loss of both Titus Rubles and Justin Jackson in the front court. And given the losses of Jackson, Rubles and All-American Sean Kilpatrick, Ellis and Cobb will need to be productive if the Bearcats are to make a run at another American Athletic Conference regular season title.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)