May 8, 2014, 9:13 PM EDT
After playing just over five minutes per game in two seasons at Kansas, guard Andrew White III will be transferring. The news, which was first reported by Rick Lewis of the Phenom Hoop Report, was announced by the program Thursday night. White is making the move in hopes of earning more playing time at another school, something that was unlikely to happen had he remained in Lawrence for his junior season.
“I spoke with my family and the coaches several times throughout the spring and after the season ended, discussing what my expected role would be on the team,” White said in the release. “Coach Self told me it would be questionable to break into the rotation. My family and I decided it would be the best choice to move on and explore other school options.
“I feel like every day I gave maximum effort and gave everything in my power to the program. I feel I made the best out of my situation.”
Even with the departure of Andrew Wiggins the fight for more minutes in 2014-15 set up to be a difficult one for White, with Kelly Oubre joining the program and Wayne Selden returning for his sophomore campaign. After sitting out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules White will have two years of eligibility remaining.
White averaged 2.3 points and 1.2 rebounds per game as a Jayhawk.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 0
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 0
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)