May 8, 2014, 9:13 PM EDT
After playing just over five minutes per game in two seasons at Kansas, guard Andrew White III will be transferring. The news, which was first reported by Rick Lewis of the Phenom Hoop Report, was announced by the program Thursday night. White is making the move in hopes of earning more playing time at another school, something that was unlikely to happen had he remained in Lawrence for his junior season.
“I spoke with my family and the coaches several times throughout the spring and after the season ended, discussing what my expected role would be on the team,” White said in the release. “Coach Self told me it would be questionable to break into the rotation. My family and I decided it would be the best choice to move on and explore other school options.
“I feel like every day I gave maximum effort and gave everything in my power to the program. I feel I made the best out of my situation.”
Even with the departure of Andrew Wiggins the fight for more minutes in 2014-15 set up to be a difficult one for White, with Kelly Oubre joining the program and Wayne Selden returning for his sophomore campaign. After sitting out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules White will have two years of eligibility remaining.
White averaged 2.3 points and 1.2 rebounds per game as a Jayhawk.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)
- NCAA approves waiver to allow player with terminal cancer to play (1)