May 8, 2014, 9:13 PM EST
After playing just over five minutes per game in two seasons at Kansas, guard Andrew White III will be transferring. The news, which was first reported by Rick Lewis of the Phenom Hoop Report, was announced by the program Thursday night. White is making the move in hopes of earning more playing time at another school, something that was unlikely to happen had he remained in Lawrence for his junior season.
“I spoke with my family and the coaches several times throughout the spring and after the season ended, discussing what my expected role would be on the team,” White said in the release. “Coach Self told me it would be questionable to break into the rotation. My family and I decided it would be the best choice to move on and explore other school options.
“I feel like every day I gave maximum effort and gave everything in my power to the program. I feel I made the best out of my situation.”
Even with the departure of Andrew Wiggins the fight for more minutes in 2014-15 set up to be a difficult one for White, with Kelly Oubre joining the program and Wayne Selden returning for his sophomore campaign. After sitting out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules White will have two years of eligibility remaining.
White averaged 2.3 points and 1.2 rebounds per game as a Jayhawk.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)