May 8, 2014, 9:13 PM EDT
After playing just over five minutes per game in two seasons at Kansas, guard Andrew White III will be transferring. The news, which was first reported by Rick Lewis of the Phenom Hoop Report, was announced by the program Thursday night. White is making the move in hopes of earning more playing time at another school, something that was unlikely to happen had he remained in Lawrence for his junior season.
“I spoke with my family and the coaches several times throughout the spring and after the season ended, discussing what my expected role would be on the team,” White said in the release. “Coach Self told me it would be questionable to break into the rotation. My family and I decided it would be the best choice to move on and explore other school options.
“I feel like every day I gave maximum effort and gave everything in my power to the program. I feel I made the best out of my situation.”
Even with the departure of Andrew Wiggins the fight for more minutes in 2014-15 set up to be a difficult one for White, with Kelly Oubre joining the program and Wayne Selden returning for his sophomore campaign. After sitting out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules White will have two years of eligibility remaining.
White averaged 2.3 points and 1.2 rebounds per game as a Jayhawk.
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)