May 8, 2014, 9:13 PM EDT
After playing just over five minutes per game in two seasons at Kansas, guard Andrew White III will be transferring. The news, which was first reported by Rick Lewis of the Phenom Hoop Report, was announced by the program Thursday night. White is making the move in hopes of earning more playing time at another school, something that was unlikely to happen had he remained in Lawrence for his junior season.
“I spoke with my family and the coaches several times throughout the spring and after the season ended, discussing what my expected role would be on the team,” White said in the release. “Coach Self told me it would be questionable to break into the rotation. My family and I decided it would be the best choice to move on and explore other school options.
“I feel like every day I gave maximum effort and gave everything in my power to the program. I feel I made the best out of my situation.”
Even with the departure of Andrew Wiggins the fight for more minutes in 2014-15 set up to be a difficult one for White, with Kelly Oubre joining the program and Wayne Selden returning for his sophomore campaign. After sitting out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules White will have two years of eligibility remaining.
White averaged 2.3 points and 1.2 rebounds per game as a Jayhawk.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)