May 8, 2014, 2:47 PM EST
Have you heard about The Basketball Tournament yet?
Well, start paying attention, because it is going to be awesome.
TBT is a 32-team, 5-on-5, winner-take-all-$500,000 tournament that will take place in Philly next month. Who’s eligible? Well, anyone. Literally. So long as you are older than 18 and willing to give up any collegiate eligibility that you may have remaining, you are eligibile.
And with that amount of money on the line, you can probably imagine some of the names coming out of the woodwork. Playground legends. Longtime NBA players. Former college stars that never latched on with an NBA team. Even entire college teams are showing up.
You can browse through all the rosters here, but these are some of the highlights:
– Marshall Henderson, everyone’s favorite hot head that just finished his collegiate career at Ole Miss, will be playing for Team TYGTAL along with, among others, Hakim Warrick and former Santa Clara star Kevin Foster. How Foster and Henderson will share the ball will be fascinating.
– Remember the Cornell team that made the Sweet 16? Want to see them play again? Then get to Philly, because the entire group will playing.
– Villanova will also be fielding an entire team, this one made up with mostly guys from their 2009 team.
– Aquille Carr, the 5-foot-6 Baltimore legend that never quite made it to college, will be there with a team called Rep Your City that will also include big men from Miami’s ACC title winning team in 2013 and Marcus Lewis, the all-world dunker from Eastern Kentucky.
– There’s a team, led by Michael Lyons, made up entirely of active duty members of the Air Force.
– Terry Dehere started a team that will be playing for funding for St. Anthony’s HS in New Jersey.
– Rashad McCants (!!!) will be there with a team that is loaded with former college stars, including Smush Parker and Darius Washington Jr.
Literally, every roster is littered with former college stars.
The first four rounds will be played from June 6th to June 8th, with the final taking place on June 28th.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)