May 8, 2014, 2:47 PM EST
Have you heard about The Basketball Tournament yet?
Well, start paying attention, because it is going to be awesome.
TBT is a 32-team, 5-on-5, winner-take-all-$500,000 tournament that will take place in Philly next month. Who’s eligible? Well, anyone. Literally. So long as you are older than 18 and willing to give up any collegiate eligibility that you may have remaining, you are eligibile.
And with that amount of money on the line, you can probably imagine some of the names coming out of the woodwork. Playground legends. Longtime NBA players. Former college stars that never latched on with an NBA team. Even entire college teams are showing up.
You can browse through all the rosters here, but these are some of the highlights:
- Marshall Henderson, everyone’s favorite hot head that just finished his collegiate career at Ole Miss, will be playing for Team TYGTAL along with, among others, Hakim Warrick and former Santa Clara star Kevin Foster. How Foster and Henderson will share the ball will be fascinating.
- Remember the Cornell team that made the Sweet 16? Want to see them play again? Then get to Philly, because the entire group will playing.
- Villanova will also be fielding an entire team, this one made up with mostly guys from their 2009 team.
- Aquille Carr, the 5-foot-6 Baltimore legend that never quite made it to college, will be there with a team called Rep Your City that will also include big men from Miami’s ACC title winning team in 2013 and Marcus Lewis, the all-world dunker from Eastern Kentucky.
- There’s a team, led by Michael Lyons, made up entirely of active duty members of the Air Force.
- Terry Dehere started a team that will be playing for funding for St. Anthony’s HS in New Jersey.
- Rashad McCants (!!!) will be there with a team that is loaded with former college stars, including Smush Parker and Darius Washington Jr.
Literally, every roster is littered with former college stars.
The first four rounds will be played from June 6th to June 8th, with the final taking place on June 28th.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 0
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 1
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)