May 8, 2014, 2:47 PM EDT
Have you heard about The Basketball Tournament yet?
Well, start paying attention, because it is going to be awesome.
TBT is a 32-team, 5-on-5, winner-take-all-$500,000 tournament that will take place in Philly next month. Who’s eligible? Well, anyone. Literally. So long as you are older than 18 and willing to give up any collegiate eligibility that you may have remaining, you are eligibile.
And with that amount of money on the line, you can probably imagine some of the names coming out of the woodwork. Playground legends. Longtime NBA players. Former college stars that never latched on with an NBA team. Even entire college teams are showing up.
You can browse through all the rosters here, but these are some of the highlights:
– Marshall Henderson, everyone’s favorite hot head that just finished his collegiate career at Ole Miss, will be playing for Team TYGTAL along with, among others, Hakim Warrick and former Santa Clara star Kevin Foster. How Foster and Henderson will share the ball will be fascinating.
– Remember the Cornell team that made the Sweet 16? Want to see them play again? Then get to Philly, because the entire group will playing.
– Villanova will also be fielding an entire team, this one made up with mostly guys from their 2009 team.
– Aquille Carr, the 5-foot-6 Baltimore legend that never quite made it to college, will be there with a team called Rep Your City that will also include big men from Miami’s ACC title winning team in 2013 and Marcus Lewis, the all-world dunker from Eastern Kentucky.
– There’s a team, led by Michael Lyons, made up entirely of active duty members of the Air Force.
– Terry Dehere started a team that will be playing for funding for St. Anthony’s HS in New Jersey.
– Rashad McCants (!!!) will be there with a team that is loaded with former college stars, including Smush Parker and Darius Washington Jr.
Literally, every roster is littered with former college stars.
The first four rounds will be played from June 6th to June 8th, with the final taking place on June 28th.
Mar 29, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
Dave Leitao is the leading candidate to become the head coach at DePaul for a second time.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Five-star big man Ivan Rabb makes a clutch free throw to win a California state title.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Wisconsin and Kentucky get to play again after last season’s thrilling National Semifinal.
Mar 29, 2015, 8:37 AM EDT
The label of “best coach yet to reach a Final Four” will remain Miller’s for another offseason, whether that’s fair or not.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:50 AM EDT
The Big Ten champion and SEC champion move on to Indy.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:07 PM EDT
The Wildcats knocked off a tough Notre Dame team.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
Dekker scored 20 of his 27 points in the second half at Wisconsin beat Arizona in the Elite Eight for the second straight year.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:34 PM EDT
Frank got a little funky after Wisconsin’s win over Arizona.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT
This is too funny.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
Barnes coached at Texas for 17 seasons.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:32 PM EDT
So Andrew Harrison was a grown man in middle school?
Arrests made as Michigan State fans gather, set fires near off-campus apartments after Sweet 16 win (VIDEO)
Mar 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Some Michigan State students got a little too rowdy following a win over Oklahoma.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
The Citadel hired away the head coach of a Southern Conference rival.
Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey on college hoops: ‘It’s absolute torture watching some of these games’ (AUDIO)
Mar 28, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey had some strong words on the current state of college basketball.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Frank Kaminsky’s path to stardom may not follow that of last year’s national Player of the Year winner, Doug McDermott, but it’s one that many players hope to navigate during their own time in school.
Tom Izzo blames himself, new Will Ferrell/Kevin Hart movie on Michigan State’s sluggish Sweet 16 start
Mar 28, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Michigan State might have been the only people in the country watching “Get Hard” on Friday afternoon.
Former oddsmaker believes Kentucky would be underdog against all-time great college basketball teams
Mar 28, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Kentucky might finish the 2014-15 season unblemished, but how do they stack up against some of the best teams in college basketball history?
Mar 28, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Get caught up on all of Friday’s NCAA tournament action.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:27 AM EDT
The schedule for Sunday’s Elite 8 games.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:23 AM EDT
Second straight Elite 8 appearance for Tom Izzo and Co.
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 3
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 5
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 60
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 14
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (63)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)