May 8, 2014, 2:47 PM EST
Have you heard about The Basketball Tournament yet?
Well, start paying attention, because it is going to be awesome.
TBT is a 32-team, 5-on-5, winner-take-all-$500,000 tournament that will take place in Philly next month. Who’s eligible? Well, anyone. Literally. So long as you are older than 18 and willing to give up any collegiate eligibility that you may have remaining, you are eligibile.
And with that amount of money on the line, you can probably imagine some of the names coming out of the woodwork. Playground legends. Longtime NBA players. Former college stars that never latched on with an NBA team. Even entire college teams are showing up.
You can browse through all the rosters here, but these are some of the highlights:
- Marshall Henderson, everyone’s favorite hot head that just finished his collegiate career at Ole Miss, will be playing for Team TYGTAL along with, among others, Hakim Warrick and former Santa Clara star Kevin Foster. How Foster and Henderson will share the ball will be fascinating.
- Remember the Cornell team that made the Sweet 16? Want to see them play again? Then get to Philly, because the entire group will playing.
- Villanova will also be fielding an entire team, this one made up with mostly guys from their 2009 team.
- Aquille Carr, the 5-foot-6 Baltimore legend that never quite made it to college, will be there with a team called Rep Your City that will also include big men from Miami’s ACC title winning team in 2013 and Marcus Lewis, the all-world dunker from Eastern Kentucky.
- There’s a team, led by Michael Lyons, made up entirely of active duty members of the Air Force.
- Terry Dehere started a team that will be playing for funding for St. Anthony’s HS in New Jersey.
- Rashad McCants (!!!) will be there with a team that is loaded with former college stars, including Smush Parker and Darius Washington Jr.
Literally, every roster is littered with former college stars.
The first four rounds will be played from June 6th to June 8th, with the final taking place on June 28th.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:43 PM EST
Harvard did not set the record for lowest field goal percentage or lowest first-half points, but the Crimson did tie an NCAA record on Sunday afternoon.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
The Orange and Wildcats have split a home-and-home series since the old Big East disbanded several years ago.
Dec 21, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
The Louisville forward spoke about the incident that took place at the end of the first half against Western Kentucky following the game.
Dec 21, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
The nation’s top recruit also dropped 37 points in a win for Montverde Academy (Florida)
Dec 21, 2014, 9:11 AM EST
Here’s a rundown of Sunday’s games.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:10 AM EST
With pieces that fit together better than last season’s 17-15 squad, the Huskies are off to a 10-0 start.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
George Mason’s last win over a Division I opponent prior to Saturday came against another MAAC program, Manhattan, on November 29.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
Jackson scored 22 points, with two coming on an emphatic dunk on Purdue freshman Isaac Haas.
Dec 20, 2014, 8:41 PM EST
It’s already been a busy day in college hoops, with two buzzer-beaters and two ranked teams already going down.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EST
While Michigan State’s 4-for-21 night from three didn’t help matters, Texas Southern shot better than 53 percent from the field.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:18 PM EST
Burton was one of two sophomores to leave the Marquette program earlier this month.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:46 PM EST
Kentucky completely embarrassed UCLA on Saturday.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:04 PM EST
Mitchell Wilbekin could miss up to six games, and classmates Cornelius Hudson and Rondale Watson missed Saturday’s game for conduct detrimental to the team.
Dec 20, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
Illinois has now won two straight in the series, thanks to Rice’s three-pointer as time expired.
Dec 20, 2014, 3:26 PM EST
Not surprising, considering Gus Johnson is on the call.
Dec 20, 2014, 3:23 PM EST
North Carolina had its most impressive showing of the season in a convincing win over Ohio State on Saturday in Chicago.
Dec 20, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Josh Jackson put on a show last night. Here’s a mixtape of what he can do.
Louisville’s Montrezl Harrell throws a punch, ejected as tempers flare against Western Kentucky (VIDEOS)
Dec 20, 2014, 12:56 PM EST
Montrezl Harrell ejected for throwing a punch.
Dec 20, 2014, 11:49 AM EST
This will be the first time that Murphy plays this season.
Dec 20, 2014, 11:25 AM EST
He won’t coach against VCU.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Sophomore forward Semi Ojeleye to transfer from Duke (3)