May 9, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
You probably know Chaminade as the host school of the Maui Invitational, but they had a key transfer this offseason when guard Christophe Varidel opted to leave the school after one season.
The 6-foot-3 guard spent his first three seasons at Florida Gulf Coast — even tallying 11 points in Dunk City’s memorable Round of 64 win over San Diego State in the 2013 NCAA Tournament — but transferred to the Division II Silverswords for his senior season.
But after an injury-plagued season in which he only played five games, Varidel will complete his final season of college basketball at Alabama as ESPN‘s Jeff Goodman reported on Friday night that Anthony Grant and the Crimson Tide landed the key transfer. According to Goodman, Varidel chose the Crimson Tide over UCLA.
A native of Geneva, Switzerland, Varidel burst onto the national college basketball this season with a 31-point first-half effort during a 42-point performance in a loss to Baylor in the 2013 Maui Invitational. Varidel averaged 21.2 points and 4.6 rebounds per game in five games — four starts — for Chaminade on the season. He also shot 46 percent from three-point range on the season, including 10 three-pointers in the Baylor game.
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Sophomore forward Semi Ojeleye to transfer from Duke (3)