May 9, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
You probably know Chaminade as the host school of the Maui Invitational, but they had a key transfer this offseason when guard Christophe Varidel opted to leave the school after one season.
The 6-foot-3 guard spent his first three seasons at Florida Gulf Coast — even tallying 11 points in Dunk City’s memorable Round of 64 win over San Diego State in the 2013 NCAA Tournament — but transferred to the Division II Silverswords for his senior season.
But after an injury-plagued season in which he only played five games, Varidel will complete his final season of college basketball at Alabama as ESPN‘s Jeff Goodman reported on Friday night that Anthony Grant and the Crimson Tide landed the key transfer. According to Goodman, Varidel chose the Crimson Tide over UCLA.
A native of Geneva, Switzerland, Varidel burst onto the national college basketball this season with a 31-point first-half effort during a 42-point performance in a loss to Baylor in the 2013 Maui Invitational. Varidel averaged 21.2 points and 4.6 rebounds per game in five games — four starts — for Chaminade on the season. He also shot 46 percent from three-point range on the season, including 10 three-pointers in the Baylor game.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)