May 9, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
With Brett nelson and Billy Wright moving on at the end of the season, Ball State head coach James Whitford had two openings on his coaching staff to fill this spring. Friday afternoon the school announced that one of those positions has been filled, with Brian Thornton making the move from Winthrop to Ball State.
Thornton, who played at both Vanderbilt and Xavier, has been an assistant at both Winthrop and Furman and served as director of basketball operations at Xavier under Chris Mack. He joins Jason Grunkemeyer, the lone holdover from last season, on the Ball State coaching staff.
“I am excited about working with Coach Whitford,” Thornton said in the release. “I know the way he runs things and the ‘do what we do’ philosophy that exists at places like Arizona, Xavier and Ball State. Ball State is obviously a place that has had a history of success, and that is intriguing.
“The school is in a state that has maybe the best basketball in the country, so there are plenty of kids who are available and interested in being Ball State Cardinals.”
In Whitford’s first season at the helm the Cardinals finished with a record of 5-25 (2-16 MAC), and they’ll have to account for the loss of three of their top four scorers. The most productive returnee is guard Zavier Turner, who averaged 12.1 points and 3.7 assists per game. Ball State adds six newcomers to the program, and Cincinnati transfer Jeremiah Davis III will be eligible after sitting out the 2013-14 campaign.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (3)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)