May 9, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Michigan State has played in some innovative events over the years thanks to the creative thinking of athletic director Mark Hollis.
The Spartans have recently participated in a game on an aircraft carrier against North Carolina and a game against UConn at Ramstein Air Base in Germany — to name a few of Michigan State’s unique non-conference clashes — but the latest of Hollis’ ideas looks like it won’t come to fruition. According to a report from Joe Rexrode of the Detroit Free Press, a proposed game between Michigan State and Oregon State to be played under a canopy on the White House grounds in 2016 won’t happen.
The event was going to be played in-part to honor President Obama’s eight years in office.
“You’re always looking to explore unique opportunities for student-athletes, and that was one we were looking at,” Hollis said to the Free Press regarding the proposed game. “It wasn’t a done deal, but it was one of the dreams. And it was very doable, in terms of logistics.”
It’s unfortunate that it looks like this game isn’t going to be played, as it would have been a truly cool and unique setting for a non-conference game while also giving the players and coaches the chance to say they hooped at the White House, but Hollis holds out hope for the game, just in case.
“If somebody hires (Robinson),” Hollis said to the Free Press, “maybe it can still be on.”
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (2)