May 9, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Michigan State has played in some innovative events over the years thanks to the creative thinking of athletic director Mark Hollis.
The Spartans have recently participated in a game on an aircraft carrier against North Carolina and a game against UConn at Ramstein Air Base in Germany — to name a few of Michigan State’s unique non-conference clashes — but the latest of Hollis’ ideas looks like it won’t come to fruition. According to a report from Joe Rexrode of the Detroit Free Press, a proposed game between Michigan State and Oregon State to be played under a canopy on the White House grounds in 2016 won’t happen.
The event was going to be played in-part to honor President Obama’s eight years in office.
“You’re always looking to explore unique opportunities for student-athletes, and that was one we were looking at,” Hollis said to the Free Press regarding the proposed game. “It wasn’t a done deal, but it was one of the dreams. And it was very doable, in terms of logistics.”
It’s unfortunate that it looks like this game isn’t going to be played, as it would have been a truly cool and unique setting for a non-conference game while also giving the players and coaches the chance to say they hooped at the White House, but Hollis holds out hope for the game, just in case.
“If somebody hires (Robinson),” Hollis said to the Free Press, “maybe it can still be on.”
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 1
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)