May 9, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Michigan State has played in some innovative events over the years thanks to the creative thinking of athletic director Mark Hollis.
The Spartans have recently participated in a game on an aircraft carrier against North Carolina and a game against UConn at Ramstein Air Base in Germany — to name a few of Michigan State’s unique non-conference clashes — but the latest of Hollis’ ideas looks like it won’t come to fruition. According to a report from Joe Rexrode of the Detroit Free Press, a proposed game between Michigan State and Oregon State to be played under a canopy on the White House grounds in 2016 won’t happen.
The event was going to be played in-part to honor President Obama’s eight years in office.
“You’re always looking to explore unique opportunities for student-athletes, and that was one we were looking at,” Hollis said to the Free Press regarding the proposed game. “It wasn’t a done deal, but it was one of the dreams. And it was very doable, in terms of logistics.”
It’s unfortunate that it looks like this game isn’t going to be played, as it would have been a truly cool and unique setting for a non-conference game while also giving the players and coaches the chance to say they hooped at the White House, but Hollis holds out hope for the game, just in case.
“If somebody hires (Robinson),” Hollis said to the Free Press, “maybe it can still be on.”
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 1
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (10)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)