May 9, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Michigan State has played in some innovative events over the years thanks to the creative thinking of athletic director Mark Hollis.
The Spartans have recently participated in a game on an aircraft carrier against North Carolina and a game against UConn at Ramstein Air Base in Germany — to name a few of Michigan State’s unique non-conference clashes — but the latest of Hollis’ ideas looks like it won’t come to fruition. According to a report from Joe Rexrode of the Detroit Free Press, a proposed game between Michigan State and Oregon State to be played under a canopy on the White House grounds in 2016 won’t happen.
The event was going to be played in-part to honor President Obama’s eight years in office.
“You’re always looking to explore unique opportunities for student-athletes, and that was one we were looking at,” Hollis said to the Free Press regarding the proposed game. “It wasn’t a done deal, but it was one of the dreams. And it was very doable, in terms of logistics.”
It’s unfortunate that it looks like this game isn’t going to be played, as it would have been a truly cool and unique setting for a non-conference game while also giving the players and coaches the chance to say they hooped at the White House, but Hollis holds out hope for the game, just in case.
“If somebody hires (Robinson),” Hollis said to the Free Press, “maybe it can still be on.”
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)