May 9, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
With UNCW having won just nine games in 2013-14, it’s safe to say that new head coach Kevin Keatts will have his work cut out for him as he looks to make the Seahawks a contender in the Colonial Athletic Association. Forward Cedrick Williams, who averaged a team-best 11.5 points and 6.6 rebounds per game last season, will be a senior next season but he’s also the lone player to averaged double figures in 2013-14.
Those two factors, the lack of production outside of Williams and the fact that he has just one season remaining, make the addition of former Jacksonville guard Jarvis Haywood a very important one for Keatts. News of Haywood’s decision to join the UNCW program was reported by Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com.
As a sophomore the 6-foot-4 Haywood averaged 16.6 points, 4.5 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game, earning second team All-Atlantic Sun honors as a result. Haywood shot 50.9% from the field, 41.3% from three and 74.1% from the foul line, and of the 26 games in which he played the guard reached double figures in 23. Haywood scored a season-high 29 points in a loss at North Florida on January 17, shooting 11-for-16 from the field.
UNCW struggled offensively last season, ranking eighth in the CAA in scoring offense and ninth (last) in field goal percentage. Haywood won’t be able to play in 2014-15 due to NCAA transfer rules, but he’ll help the Seahawks offensively when he becomes eligible the following season.
Keatts has also landed commitments from 2014 point guards Malik Pugh and Jordon Talley, with the latter making his decision to join the program Thursday.
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 0
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)