May 9, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
With a turf toe injury limiting his effectiveness as a freshman, highly regarded forward Jermaine Lawrence did not have the impact at Cincinnati many forecasted when he made his pledge. Lawrence posted averages of 2.8 points and 2.9 rebounds per game, but the hope was that at full strength he would be able to help the Bearcats deal with the losses of Justin Jackson and Titus Rubles in the front court.
That may not be the case, as according to Evan Daniels of Scout.com Lawrence is expected to request to be released from his scholarship. However it should be noted that both Mike DeCourcy of The Sporting News and the Cincinnati Enquirer have reported that the school has yet to hear from Lawrence regarding this matter, and that could be a matter of timing more than anything.
Losing Lawrence wouldn’t be optimal for head coach Mick Cronin, but the decision comes one day after the program received a commitment from junior college All-American Octavius Ellis. Add in another junior college transfer in Coreontae DeBerry and highly-regarded freshmen Gary Clark and Quadri Moore, and Cincinnati will have bodies in the post.
The Bearcats will also add 6-foot-10 big man Jamaree Strickland, who sat out all of last season after not being cleared by the NCAA. Returning for his sophomore season would have given Lawrence the opportunity to compete for (and earn) more playing time, but that apparently won’t be the case.
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 1
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)