May 9, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
It’s been a tumultuous offseason for West Virginia and it only got worse on Friday as sophomore guard Terry Henderson is leaving the program to transfer, the school announced.
The 6-foot-4 Henderson started 17 games for West Virginia last season — playing in 28 games overall — and averaged 11.7 points and 2.9 rebounds per game. The native of Raleigh, North Carolina also shot 43 percent from the field, 37 percent from three-point range and 84 percent from the free-throw line.
Coupled with the loss of guard Eron Harris to transfer, this is a major blow for Bob Huggins’ team next season as returning point guard and all-Big 12 candidate Juwan Staten loses his two key running mates from last season.
“We have enjoyed Terry and his contributions to Mountaineer basketball,” Huggins said in the release. “We wish him the best in his future endeavors.”
Henderson missed four games last season due to an unspecified illness and the Mountaineers struggled to a 1-3 record without him as they finished 17-16 on the season.
While Henderson leaving hurts West Virginia in the short term, Huggins has to be concerned by the alarming frequency that players are leaving the program.
As Mike Casazza of the Charleston Daily Mail notes, Henderson is the 12th Huggins recruit since the 2010 Final Four season out of 16 signees that has either transferred or never played in a game for the Mountaineers.
Besides Staten, only junior Gary Browne remains as guards from last season’s team. West Virginia’s recruiting class includes some guards, however, as junior college guard Tarik Phillip and freshmen Jevon Carter and Dax Miles are signed for next season.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)