May 9, 2014, 8:55 PM EST
It’s been a tumultuous offseason for West Virginia and it only got worse on Friday as sophomore guard Terry Henderson is leaving the program to transfer, the school announced.
The 6-foot-4 Henderson started 17 games for West Virginia last season — playing in 28 games overall — and averaged 11.7 points and 2.9 rebounds per game. The native of Raleigh, North Carolina also shot 43 percent from the field, 37 percent from three-point range and 84 percent from the free-throw line.
Coupled with the loss of guard Eron Harris to transfer, this is a major blow for Bob Huggins’ team next season as returning point guard and all-Big 12 candidate Juwan Staten loses his two key running mates from last season.
“We have enjoyed Terry and his contributions to Mountaineer basketball,” Huggins said in the release. “We wish him the best in his future endeavors.”
Henderson missed four games last season due to an unspecified illness and the Mountaineers struggled to a 1-3 record without him as they finished 17-16 on the season.
While Henderson leaving hurts West Virginia in the short term, Huggins has to be concerned by the alarming frequency that players are leaving the program.
As Mike Casazza of the Charleston Daily Mail notes, Henderson is the 12th Huggins recruit since the 2010 Final Four season out of 16 signees that has either transferred or never played in a game for the Mountaineers.
Besides Staten, only junior Gary Browne remains as guards from last season’s team. West Virginia’s recruiting class includes some guards, however, as junior college guard Tarik Phillip and freshmen Jevon Carter and Dax Miles are signed for next season.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)