May 9, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
It’s been a tumultuous offseason for West Virginia and it only got worse on Friday as sophomore guard Terry Henderson is leaving the program to transfer, the school announced.
The 6-foot-4 Henderson started 17 games for West Virginia last season — playing in 28 games overall — and averaged 11.7 points and 2.9 rebounds per game. The native of Raleigh, North Carolina also shot 43 percent from the field, 37 percent from three-point range and 84 percent from the free-throw line.
Coupled with the loss of guard Eron Harris to transfer, this is a major blow for Bob Huggins’ team next season as returning point guard and all-Big 12 candidate Juwan Staten loses his two key running mates from last season.
“We have enjoyed Terry and his contributions to Mountaineer basketball,” Huggins said in the release. “We wish him the best in his future endeavors.”
Henderson missed four games last season due to an unspecified illness and the Mountaineers struggled to a 1-3 record without him as they finished 17-16 on the season.
While Henderson leaving hurts West Virginia in the short term, Huggins has to be concerned by the alarming frequency that players are leaving the program.
As Mike Casazza of the Charleston Daily Mail notes, Henderson is the 12th Huggins recruit since the 2010 Final Four season out of 16 signees that has either transferred or never played in a game for the Mountaineers.
Besides Staten, only junior Gary Browne remains as guards from last season’s team. West Virginia’s recruiting class includes some guards, however, as junior college guard Tarik Phillip and freshmen Jevon Carter and Dax Miles are signed for next season.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Lyle was originally committed to Louisville before backing off.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
The rush for a good spot to wait for Big Blue Madness tickets is always entertaining.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The tallest player in high school basketball has some visits set.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Missouri will move on with team-related activities without two freshmen following an arrest.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Arizona State has cut ties with a junior college forward and 2015 recruit was who arrested over the weekend.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Bo Ryan shows he’s a big man on campus at Wisconsin following his Final Four appearance.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Jalen Rose says that former teammates Chris Webber needs to apologize.
Sep 16, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
The Longhorns pull in a commitment from a good guard in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
Kevin Stallings has earned four commitments in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
The five-star recruit decommitted from Louisville, and what it has to do with shoe companies.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
There are also a limited number of ugly road weeks.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Wojcik was fired with cause for allegedly abusing his players.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Mudiays $1.2 million deal with a team in China will now be significantly supplemented.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Have you ever seen ‘Goodfellas’? You’ll recognize one of the main players in this story.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Ivan Rabb is one of the best centers in the country.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney has opened it back up.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
The Bearcats added a 2015 recruit on Monday night.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Kansas begins a two-week Boot Camp today.
Sep 15, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Shaquille Johnson is in trouble at his new home.
Sep 15, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Things are getting interesting between the Pitinos as we get closer to the Minnesota and Louisville game.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 2
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)