May 10, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
It’s been three years since Demetri Goodson played in a college basketball, with the 6-footer making the decision to transfer from Gonzaga to Baylor in 2011. Goodson played three years for Mark Few, posting averages of 5.1 points, 2.1 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game during his time in Spokane.
His most memorable moment as a Bulldog: a length of the court drive to score the game-winning basket in the Bulldogs’ 83-81 win over Western Kentucky in the 2009 NCAA tournament.
Goodson played three seasons of football at Baylor (eight games his first two years due to injury), and as a redshirt senior he earned Honorable Mention All-Big 12 honors (26 tackles, three interceptions). On Saturday Goodson learned where his professional football journey will begin, as he was drafted in the sixth round of the NFL Draft by Green Bay.
And hearing his name called was undoubtedly a thrill for the cornerback, who noted that being drafted surpassed anything he accomplished on the basketball court while also noting that he had a better chance of realizing his professional dreams on the gridiron.
“I’d say this is a better feeling,” said the 6-foot, 200-pound Goodson, who transferred to Baylor in 2011 because he believed he had a better chance to play professional football than basketball.
“I started thinking about a 6-foot point guard compared to a 6-foot cornerback,” he said.
Goodson is one of three players with college basketball experience to be selected in this year’s NFL Draft. Tight end Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, who played basketball at Washington during the 2012-13 season, was selected in the second round by Tampa Bay and former South Carolina point guard Bruce Ellington was picked in the fourth round by San Francisco.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)