May 10, 2014, 4:45 PM EST
Drake head coach Ray Giacoletti has been busy on the transfer market this spring, and on Saturday he landed a second former Big Ten product as guard Graham Woodward announced that he’ll be attending the Missouri Valley Conference school. Woodward played his freshman season at Penn State, where he averaged 2.8 points in 12.5 minutes of action per contest.
With Tim Frazier and D.J. Newbill leading the way on the perimeter and Pittsburgh transfer John Johnson joining the Penn State program, Woodward and fellow freshman Geno Thorpe were fourth and fifth options for head coach Patrick Chambers. Woodward reached double figures in one game last season, scoring 11 points in the Nittany Lions’ 71-70 win at Ohio State on January 29. He played a season-high 35 minutes in the overtime victory.
Woodward joins former Northwestern forward Kale Abrahamson as players who have made the decision to transfer to Drake this spring. After sitting out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules Woodward will have three years of eligibility remaining. Jordan Daniels (10.2 ppg, 2.6 apg), the likely starter at the point in 2014-15 with Richard Carter out of eligibility, will be a senior during the 2015-16 season.
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 0
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)