May 10, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Georgia announced an addition to Mark Fox’s coaching staff on Friday as former Samford assistant coach Yasir Rosemond will take the same position with the Bulldogs, the school announced in a release.
A native of Atlanta, the 37-year-old Rosemond is coming off two seasons as an assistant coach at Samford, where he helped recruit the last two SoCon Freshman of the Year winners — forward Tim Williams and Georgia native and guard Isaiah Williams — for the Bulldogs. Rosemond played collegiately at Oregon and finished out his college basketball career at Seattle Pacific before spending four years playing professionally in Brazil.
Rosemond also spent five seasons at Oregon under Ernie Kent, three of which were spent as an assistant coach, and also spent time as an assistant at Seattle under Cameron Dollar.
“I am excited to add Yasir to our staff,” Fox said in the release. “He came very highly recommended by his former employers, high school coaches and summer programs he worked with. Here at Georgia he will spend a great deal of his efforts recruiting and he will work with our perimeter players on the court.
“I am confident he will be a great addition to our program, with his experience and his roots already in Atlanta. He should be able to be fully in place when our players return for school and workouts this summer.”
Rosemond should help the Bulldogs gain even more traction in local recruiting while also working with Georgia’s guards.
“I’m really excited to be joining the Georgia program,” Rosemond said in the release. “Being from Georgia myself this is a place that’s always been on my mind as somewhere I’d like to be. I knew of coach Fox during my time on the West Coast. When I finally met him, he was a really down to earth guy. He has this program headed in the right direction, and I’m looking forward to being part of it.”
Georgia finished the season tied for second in the SEC at 12-6 in the conference as they finished 20-14 on the season. Fox was rewarded with a contract extension through 2018 this offseason.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)