May 10, 2014, 6:56 PM EDT
With Jabari Brown and Jordan Clarkson both entering the NBA Draft, there was room for another perimeter player at Missouri. And on Saturday it was learned that head coach Kim Anderson has added a guard to the program, with former Hawaii point guard Keith Shamburger tweeting that he’ll be a Tiger.
In line to graduate this spring, Shamburger is expected to be eligible as a graduate transfer.
As a junior Shamburger, who began his college career at San Jose State, averaged 9.3 points and 5.4 assists per game for Gib Arnold’s Warriors. He reached double figures in assists in three different games, including an 11-assist performance in win at UC Irvine in late-January. Shamburger also scored 17 points in that game, and his high for points in a game (20) came in the Warriors’ Big West tournament loss to Cal-State Northridge.
With the loss of Clarkson the Tigers were in need of some experience at the point, and the addition of Shamburger helps in that regard. The two holdovers at the position are Wes Clark and Shane Rector, with both being rising sophomores. Clark was one of the first players off the bench last season, and he posted averages of 4.1 points and 2.1 assists per game. Rector played in 24 games, averaging 4.4 minutes per contest.
In a story written by Steve Walentik of the Columbia Daily Tribune, Shamburger noted Brown’s experience at Missouri as one of the reasons why he chose Missouri:
“It was between some good programs,” said Shamburger, who also had opportunities at Maryland, Auburn and Ohio and had heard from Tennessee. “But at the end of the day, to be honest with you, my heart was with Mizzou. Bari’s like a best friend to me, so the way he succeeded there, that was something big to me.”
This isn’t the first “exchange” of players between the two schools either. Negus Webster-Chan will be eligible at Hawaii this season after sitting out the 2013-14 campaign, and forward Stefan Jankovic will be able to suit up for the Warriors after the fall semester.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)