May 10, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
With the loss of forward Cameron Bairstow (exhausted eligibility) and center Alex Kirk (entered NBA Draft) this offseason, New Mexico needed to add some size this offseason to bolster its frontcourt depth.
Head coach Craig Neal added an international piece that should help with that this week as the Lobos signed forward Tohi Smith-Milner to a NLI, according to a release from the school.
The 6-foot-9 Smith-Milner is a native of Auckland, New Zealand and played for New Zealand’s U-20 and U-18 national teams and will try out for the senior national team in June as he attempts to play in the 2014 FIBA World Championships in Spain.
“We are really excited to have Tohi joining our program,” Neal said in the release. “Tohi comes to us with good size at 6-feet-9-inches and 240 pounds. He is a versatile player who can play inside with his size but can also step out and shoot three’s. We are fortunate to sign him after being the first program to recruit him. He will join us later this summer after trying out for the New Zealand national team in June.”
Smith-Milner had a good career in New Zealand as he led Rosmini College to a national championship in 2011 while also making the all-tournament team.
New Mexico’s 2014 recruiting class includes Smith-Milner, junior college transfers Jordan Goodman and J.J. N’Ganga and high school center Joe Furstinger and wing Xavier Adams.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 2
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)