May 10, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
While the Maryland basketball program is on its way out of the ACC, one of the team’s former players has decided to stick around.
According to multiple outlets (reported first by CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein) guard Seth Allen has decided to transfer to Virginia Tech, where he’ll play for new head coach Buzz Williams. Allen will have two seasons of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2014-15 campaign. As a sophomore Allen, who missed 12 games after suffering a broken bone in his left foot, averaged 13.4 points and 3.0 assists per game for the Terrapins.
Allen becomes the fifth player to commit to Virginia Tech since Williams came aboard back in March, and his addition gives the Hokies some additional depth on the perimeter. Allen played both on and off the ball at Maryland, and with that in mind the question will be how much this affects point guard Devin Wilson when the 2015-16 season arrives. Wilson averaged 9.2 rebounds and 4.8 assists per game as a freshman, earning ACC All-Freshman Team honors as selected by the media.
Wilson started all 31 games for Virginia Tech last season, and he’ll likely be the starter for the Hokies in 2014-15 as well but there isn’t much in the way of depth at the position.
As for shooting guard Williams will have options, with incoming freshmen Justin Bibbs, Ahmed Hill and Jalen Hudson all joining holdovers Ben Emelogu (10.5 ppg, 3.1 rpg) and Will Johnston (a former walk-on; 3.2 ppg) at the position. And with the graduation of Jarell Eddie it’s likely that a couple of those players will see time at the three in 2014-15.
At the very least Virginia Tech, which won just nine games last season (2-16 ACC), can use additional depth and talent on the perimeter given the fact that they didn’t were lacking in both departments in 2013-14. And when taking those factors into consideration, the addition of Allen is a good one.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)