May 10, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
Friday evening in Caroline County, Va. a hot-air balloon holding three passengers crashed into a power line, resulting in an explosion that according to multiple outlets has resulted in the death of the occupants. Saturday evening the University of Richmond confirmed that two of the occupants were women’s basketball staffers: associate head coach Ginny Doyle and director of basketball operations Natalie Lewis.
According to the school two of the three bodies have been recovered by the Virginia State Police, and the medical examiner’s office has yet to release the identities.
Doyle, who played at Richmond, has been a member of the coaching staff for the last sixteen years. Lewis, a 2011 Richmond alum who was a member of the swimming team while an undergraduate, has been a member of head coach Michael Shafer’s program since 2012. A hot-air balloon that held Shafer and his two daughters landed safely shortly before the crash of the hot-air balloon that Doyle and Lewis were in.
School president Edward L. Ayers and athletic director Keith Gill said the following in a statement released by the school:
“As alumnae, classmates, and colleagues – and as invaluable and devoted mentors for our student-athletes – Ginny and Natalie have been beloved members of ourcommunity,” said President Edward L. Ayers. “Their leadership and friendship will endure in the lives of so many.”
“Words cannot begin to express our sorrow,” said Keith Gill, director of athletics. “We are all stunned by the tragic news. Our thoughts and prayers go out to their loved ones.”
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)