May 10, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Xavier landed a solid late point guard commitment on Saturday afternoon as 2014 guard Larry Austin committed to the Musketeers. Austin confirmed his commitment to Xavier to NBCSports.com in a text message.
The 6-foot-1 Austin led Springfield Lanphier High School in Springfield, Illinois to a 27-2 record during the 2013-14 season and was previously committed to Tennessee before head coach Cuonzo Martin left for Cal on April 15th.
A three-star prospect according to Rivals.com, Austin is regarded by the site the No. 117 prospect in the 2014 national rankings. A tremendous on-the-ball defender and solid floor leader, Austin will have to improve the consistency on his perimeter jumper as he transitions into the Big East.
Austin joins a large and talented 2014 recruiting class at Xavier that includes wing Trevon Bluiett, guards J.P. Macura and Edmond Sumner, power forward Makinde London and center Sean O’Mara.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)