May 10, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Xavier landed a solid late point guard commitment on Saturday afternoon as 2014 guard Larry Austin committed to the Musketeers. Austin confirmed his commitment to Xavier to NBCSports.com in a text message.
The 6-foot-1 Austin led Springfield Lanphier High School in Springfield, Illinois to a 27-2 record during the 2013-14 season and was previously committed to Tennessee before head coach Cuonzo Martin left for Cal on April 15th.
A three-star prospect according to Rivals.com, Austin is regarded by the site the No. 117 prospect in the 2014 national rankings. A tremendous on-the-ball defender and solid floor leader, Austin will have to improve the consistency on his perimeter jumper as he transitions into the Big East.
Austin joins a large and talented 2014 recruiting class at Xavier that includes wing Trevon Bluiett, guards J.P. Macura and Edmond Sumner, power forward Makinde London and center Sean O’Mara.
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 1
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 1
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 2
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 4
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 22
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 9
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (85)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (22)