May 10, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Xavier landed a solid late point guard commitment on Saturday afternoon as 2014 guard Larry Austin committed to the Musketeers. Austin confirmed his commitment to Xavier to NBCSports.com in a text message.
The 6-foot-1 Austin led Springfield Lanphier High School in Springfield, Illinois to a 27-2 record during the 2013-14 season and was previously committed to Tennessee before head coach Cuonzo Martin left for Cal on April 15th.
A three-star prospect according to Rivals.com, Austin is regarded by the site the No. 117 prospect in the 2014 national rankings. A tremendous on-the-ball defender and solid floor leader, Austin will have to improve the consistency on his perimeter jumper as he transitions into the Big East.
Austin joins a large and talented 2014 recruiting class at Xavier that includes wing Trevon Bluiett, guards J.P. Macura and Edmond Sumner, power forward Makinde London and center Sean O’Mara.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)