May 11, 2014, 3:07 PM EST
Sandburg High (Illinois) forward Malek Harris, a four-star recruit regarded as No. 80 overall in the Class of 2014 by Rivals, will sign with Kansas State. He announced his decision through his Twitter account on Sunday afternoon.
The commitment wasn’t a well-kept secret. Several weeks ago, a report surfaced that Harris had verbally committed to Bruce Weber. A conflicting report stated Harris had scheduled to make his decision known on Mother’s Day.
The 6-foot-7 Harris had originally picked Marquette, though, when Buzz Williams left for Virginia Tech in March, he decommitted.
Harris becomes the third commit in Weber’s class, joining shooting guard Tre Harris and junior college power forward Stephen Hurt. Also suiting up next season for the Wildcats are transfers Justin Edwards (Maine) and Brandon Bolden (Georgetown). Both of whom sat out last year due to NCAA rules.
Kansas State returns Marcus Foster, Thomas Gipson, Wesley Iwundu and Nino Williams from last year’s team that finished fifth in the Big 12. While K-State graduates Will Spradling and Shane Southwell, second on the team in boards per game, it adds one of the nation’s best rebounders. Harris gives the front court some versatility with his ability to play the three and the four, and defensively, he can matchup with several positions.
Kansas State reached the NCAA tournament this past season, being bounced in the Round of 64 by national finalist Kentucky.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)