May 11, 2014, 10:24 PM EDT
For the best prospects in the NBA Draft pool the two-day NBA Draft Combine (May 15 and 16) is unlikely to include much work in the way of on-court drills. Given their status as likely lottery selections, those players tend to not go through the agility, jumping and strength (185-pound bench press) drills that the other attendees will have to navigate.
Generally that means going through the physical examination, with the results being given out to the 30 NBA teams.
However Duke’s Jabari Parker and Kansas’ tandem of Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid, considered to be the top three prospects in this year’s draft pool, have decided to take it a step further: none are expected to even be in Chicago for the combine, according to both Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com.
For some that may be seen as a “red flag” of sorts, especially in the case of Embiid given the lower back injury that prematurely ended his freshman season. But an unnamed general manager quoted in Wojnarowski’s story didn’t take that stance at all.
“To be honest,” one general manager told Yahoo Sports, “I’m surprised more guys don’t do this. It’s the only thing they can really control.”
Whether or not a prospect goes through the NBA-administered physical, they’re still going to have to be checked out by the teams they visit/work out for during the pre-draft process. And in the case of these three, their status as the top prospects in the draft will allow them to choose which teams to undergo a physical for once the NBA Draft lottery is held according to Wojnarowski.
The decisions of these three to eschew the NBA-administered physical is a surprising turn of events given the history of elite prospects at the very least showing up at the combine to be examined. If anything, it will be interesting if other elite prospects in the years to come choose to do the same.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)