May 11, 2014, 7:52 PM EDT
South Alabama head coach Matthew Graves added some depth to his front court Sunday, with it being reported by Jamie Shaw of the Phenom Hoop Report that former Loyola Marymount forward Nick Stover has decided to transfer to the Sun Belt school. The news was later confirmed by multiple outlets.
Stover started 14 of the 32 games he played in last season, posting averages of 4.8 points and 2.0 rebounds per contest. A 6-foot-6 small forward, Stover will have two seasons of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2014-15 campaign per NCAA rules.
After shooting just 32.1% from the field as a freshman Stover improved his percentage as a sophomore, making 43.2% of his field goal attempts. His best offensive performance of the season came in a loss at San Francisco, as he scored 15 points on 4-for-8 shooting from the field, and Stover finished with three consecutive double-digit scoring efforts.
In a story written by Tommy Hicks of AL.com, Stover noted his relationship with Graves and the rest of the South Alabama coaching staff as one of the key reasons why he chose the school.
“It was a lot about (the coaching staff),” Stover said of his decision to choose the Jaguars. “I see where they are trying to go with the program and they really pitched it, about how the first year they were trying to make changes and gettting the team adjusted to those changes. They said they are going to get the team back to playing like they used to play.
“Their development, how they handle the player development and one-on-one instruction, that really sold me on it too. The individual workouts that they do and how the one-on-one workouts are helpful. All the development they are going to put me through, including the weight room and things like that, just really sold me.”
South Alabama will need to account for the graduation of Augustine Rubit, who was one of the most productive front court players in the country last season, and they’ll be adding forwards Tafari Whittingham (junior college transfers) and Abdul Lewis to the program this summer.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)