May 11, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
UNC-Greensboro’s hopes for next season took a positive turn on Sunday morning when it was announced Tevon Saddler, the Southern Conference Freshman of the Year, would return to school.
The 6-foot-4 guard had looked to transfer earlier this spring.
“We are pleased to announce that Tevon is rejoining our program,” UNC-Greensboro head coach Wes Miller said in a statement. “He handled the transfer process with a great deal of maturity, and after looking at a variety of different universities he felt that his heart was still at UNCG. On his own accord, he reached out to all of his teammates individually to ask for their blessing to return to the team. I have been impressed with his humility and thoughtfulness throughout this process. He is eager to get back to work with his teammates and continue to help us achieve the lofty goals we have for this program.”
Saddler was second on the Spartans in scoring, and led the team in assists with 12.5 points and 2.9 assists per game.
The UNCG program had taken its share of hits this offseason with rotation players Jordan Potts and Tyrone Outlaw leaving the program and top scorer Kyle Cain turning pro.
The Spartans were 14-18 (7-9 SoCon) last season, finishing sixth place in the conference.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)