May 12, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Marshall Henderson’s career as a college basketball player is over and, in all likelihood, that means that his career as a basketball player, period, is over.
6-foot-1 chuckers that don’t play defense aren’t exactly high priority NBA targets, and while he might float around the D-League or some of the lower professional leagues abroad for a while, for all intents and purposes he is no longer relevant in basketball in this country.
Which brings me to Michael Sam.
He made history over the weekend, becoming the first openly gay NFL player when he was picked by the St. Louis Rams at No. 249. His reaction to getting selected was touching and beautiful, the kind of raw emotion that you won’t see out of any other player simply because no one has ever publicly gone through what Sam is about to go through. It was captured live on television and has since been replayed over and over and over again, and rightfully so:
Back to Marshall:
I know what Andy Kennedy and Ole Miss’ first thought was: “Thank the good lord we don’t have to deal with that moron anymore.”
Henderson’s twitter profile has a picture of him in an Ole Miss jersey. Every single college basketball fan associates him with the university. Maybe it’s just me, but I would want to do everything in my power to disassociate myself with hateful, bigoted morons with too big of a platform to speak on.
UPDATE (11:00 a.m.): Marshall Henderson is bucking the “I was hacked” trend by saying that … this was a school project? We at least need to give him points for originality:
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)
- Wichita State lands transfer guard from Texas A&M (2)