May 12, 2014, 9:58 AM EST
Marshall Henderson’s career as a college basketball player is over and, in all likelihood, that means that his career as a basketball player, period, is over.
6-foot-1 chuckers that don’t play defense aren’t exactly high priority NBA targets, and while he might float around the D-League or some of the lower professional leagues abroad for a while, for all intents and purposes he is no longer relevant in basketball in this country.
Which brings me to Michael Sam.
He made history over the weekend, becoming the first openly gay NFL player when he was picked by the St. Louis Rams at No. 249. His reaction to getting selected was touching and beautiful, the kind of raw emotion that you won’t see out of any other player simply because no one has ever publicly gone through what Sam is about to go through. It was captured live on television and has since been replayed over and over and over again, and rightfully so:
Back to Marshall:
I know what Andy Kennedy and Ole Miss’ first thought was: “Thank the good lord we don’t have to deal with that moron anymore.”
Henderson’s twitter profile has a picture of him in an Ole Miss jersey. Every single college basketball fan associates him with the university. Maybe it’s just me, but I would want to do everything in my power to disassociate myself with hateful, bigoted morons with too big of a platform to speak on.
UPDATE (11:00 a.m.): Marshall Henderson is bucking the “I was hacked” trend by saying that … this was a school project? We at least need to give him points for originality:
- Two-time plane crash survivor Austin Hatch scores first career point in Michigan win (VIDEO) 0
- Late Night Snacks: Temple blows out Kansas, Purdue loses to Gardner-Webb 0
- Temple embarrasses No. 10 Kansas by 25 points 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 2
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)