May 12, 2014, 9:58 AM EST
Marshall Henderson’s career as a college basketball player is over and, in all likelihood, that means that his career as a basketball player, period, is over.
6-foot-1 chuckers that don’t play defense aren’t exactly high priority NBA targets, and while he might float around the D-League or some of the lower professional leagues abroad for a while, for all intents and purposes he is no longer relevant in basketball in this country.
Which brings me to Michael Sam.
He made history over the weekend, becoming the first openly gay NFL player when he was picked by the St. Louis Rams at No. 249. His reaction to getting selected was touching and beautiful, the kind of raw emotion that you won’t see out of any other player simply because no one has ever publicly gone through what Sam is about to go through. It was captured live on television and has since been replayed over and over and over again, and rightfully so:
Back to Marshall:
I know what Andy Kennedy and Ole Miss’ first thought was: “Thank the good lord we don’t have to deal with that moron anymore.”
Henderson’s twitter profile has a picture of him in an Ole Miss jersey. Every single college basketball fan associates him with the university. Maybe it’s just me, but I would want to do everything in my power to disassociate myself with hateful, bigoted morons with too big of a platform to speak on.
UPDATE (11:00 a.m.): Marshall Henderson is bucking the “I was hacked” trend by saying that … this was a school project? We at least need to give him points for originality:
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)