May 12, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Coming off of a very successful 2013-14 season that included an Atlantic Sun title and a win over Duke in the Round of 64 in the NCAA Tournament, Mercer opted to extend the contract of head coach Bob Hoffman, the school announced in a release on Monday.
Mercer athletic director Jim Cole initially extended Hoffman’s contract in December to run through the 2017-18 season but after the tremendous season the Bears had — coupled with the pressure of other schools taking Hoffman — the school clearly felt compelled to give the additional extension.
“We’re extremely excited to have gotten this deal done,” Cole said in the release. “Under Bob’s leadership, the men’s basketball program has represented Mercer in the utmost fashion on and off the court. While the team’s recent accomplishments have been truly remarkable, we look forward to a bright future for the squad with Bob at the helm.”
Hoffman owns a 126-82 record in six seasons at Mercer and the team has won a postseason game in three consecutive seasons. Hoffman also led Mercer to a 27-9 record last season, which tied a Mercer school record for single-season win total.
“I’m thrilled about all the things that have transpired with our program and the overall direction of the university,” Hoffman said in the release. “The support we continue to receive from President Underwood, Jim Cole and everyone associated with the university is crucial to our success, and we’re excited to see what we can accomplish in the days ahead.”
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)