May 12, 2014, 7:25 PM EST
Coming off of a very successful 2013-14 season that included an Atlantic Sun title and a win over Duke in the Round of 64 in the NCAA Tournament, Mercer opted to extend the contract of head coach Bob Hoffman, the school announced in a release on Monday.
Mercer athletic director Jim Cole initially extended Hoffman’s contract in December to run through the 2017-18 season but after the tremendous season the Bears had — coupled with the pressure of other schools taking Hoffman — the school clearly felt compelled to give the additional extension.
“We’re extremely excited to have gotten this deal done,” Cole said in the release. “Under Bob’s leadership, the men’s basketball program has represented Mercer in the utmost fashion on and off the court. While the team’s recent accomplishments have been truly remarkable, we look forward to a bright future for the squad with Bob at the helm.”
Hoffman owns a 126-82 record in six seasons at Mercer and the team has won a postseason game in three consecutive seasons. Hoffman also led Mercer to a 27-9 record last season, which tied a Mercer school record for single-season win total.
“I’m thrilled about all the things that have transpired with our program and the overall direction of the university,” Hoffman said in the release. “The support we continue to receive from President Underwood, Jim Cole and everyone associated with the university is crucial to our success, and we’re excited to see what we can accomplish in the days ahead.”
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)