May 12, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Coming off of a very successful 2013-14 season that included an Atlantic Sun title and a win over Duke in the Round of 64 in the NCAA Tournament, Mercer opted to extend the contract of head coach Bob Hoffman, the school announced in a release on Monday.
Mercer athletic director Jim Cole initially extended Hoffman’s contract in December to run through the 2017-18 season but after the tremendous season the Bears had — coupled with the pressure of other schools taking Hoffman — the school clearly felt compelled to give the additional extension.
“We’re extremely excited to have gotten this deal done,” Cole said in the release. “Under Bob’s leadership, the men’s basketball program has represented Mercer in the utmost fashion on and off the court. While the team’s recent accomplishments have been truly remarkable, we look forward to a bright future for the squad with Bob at the helm.”
Hoffman owns a 126-82 record in six seasons at Mercer and the team has won a postseason game in three consecutive seasons. Hoffman also led Mercer to a 27-9 record last season, which tied a Mercer school record for single-season win total.
“I’m thrilled about all the things that have transpired with our program and the overall direction of the university,” Hoffman said in the release. “The support we continue to receive from President Underwood, Jim Cole and everyone associated with the university is crucial to our success, and we’re excited to see what we can accomplish in the days ahead.”
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 0
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 11
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)