May 12, 2014, 7:25 PM EST
Coming off of a very successful 2013-14 season that included an Atlantic Sun title and a win over Duke in the Round of 64 in the NCAA Tournament, Mercer opted to extend the contract of head coach Bob Hoffman, the school announced in a release on Monday.
Mercer athletic director Jim Cole initially extended Hoffman’s contract in December to run through the 2017-18 season but after the tremendous season the Bears had — coupled with the pressure of other schools taking Hoffman — the school clearly felt compelled to give the additional extension.
“We’re extremely excited to have gotten this deal done,” Cole said in the release. “Under Bob’s leadership, the men’s basketball program has represented Mercer in the utmost fashion on and off the court. While the team’s recent accomplishments have been truly remarkable, we look forward to a bright future for the squad with Bob at the helm.”
Hoffman owns a 126-82 record in six seasons at Mercer and the team has won a postseason game in three consecutive seasons. Hoffman also led Mercer to a 27-9 record last season, which tied a Mercer school record for single-season win total.
“I’m thrilled about all the things that have transpired with our program and the overall direction of the university,” Hoffman said in the release. “The support we continue to receive from President Underwood, Jim Cole and everyone associated with the university is crucial to our success, and we’re excited to see what we can accomplish in the days ahead.”
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)