May 12, 2014, 9:13 PM EST
Michigan sophomore Caris LeVert will miss 8-to-10 weeks after undergoing surgery for a stress fracture in his foot, according to a release from Wolverines head coach John Beilein.
The 6-foot-6 sophomore is an All-American candidate next season and had a breakout sophomore season as LeVert made second-team all-Big Ten honors while averaging 12.9 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game. LeVert also led the Wolverines in steals at 1.2 per game and shot 43 percent from the field and 40 percent from three-point range.
“Caris underwent surgery today for a stress fracture of his foot at the University of Michigan hospital,” Beilein said in the release. “He is doing well and we expect him to make a full recovery in about 8 to 10 weeks. We are confident he will participate in our late summer training and play in our August trip to Europe.”
This obviously isn’t a huge loss for Michigan, since LeVert likely won’t miss the European trip or any games next season, but as the Wolverines’ best returning player with the loss of Nik Stauskas, Mitch McGary and Glenn Robinson III to the 2014 NBA Draft, it’s never a good feeling to see your star player have surgery and miss time.
- Two-time plane crash survivor Austin Hatch scores first career point in Michigan win (VIDEO) 0
- Late Night Snacks: Temple blows out Kansas, Purdue loses to Gardner-Webb 0
- Temple embarrasses No. 10 Kansas by 25 points 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 2
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)