May 12, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
The annual, intracity rivalry game between Cincinnati and Xavier is headed back to on-campus venues, according to a report from Cincinnati.com.
The game will also return to be called the Crosstown Shootout, the site reported. Xavier and Cincinnati have called a joint press conference for this evening, and the speculation is that the announcement will come then.
The rivalry dates all the way back to 1927 and has been played annually every year since 1946. Since 1989, the game had rotated between Xavier’s arena and Cincinnati’s arena.
But after an ugly brawl between the two programs — one that left players bloody and resulted in a notorious press conference in which Xavier players called themselves gangsters — back in 2011, the decision was made to move the game to a neutral site for two seasons before reevaluating whether or not to return the game to campus.
The game’s name was also changed at that time.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)