May 12, 2014, 2:19 PM EST
The annual, intracity rivalry game between Cincinnati and Xavier is headed back to on-campus venues, according to a report from Cincinnati.com.
The game will also return to be called the Crosstown Shootout, the site reported. Xavier and Cincinnati have called a joint press conference for this evening, and the speculation is that the announcement will come then.
The rivalry dates all the way back to 1927 and has been played annually every year since 1946. Since 1989, the game had rotated between Xavier’s arena and Cincinnati’s arena.
But after an ugly brawl between the two programs — one that left players bloody and resulted in a notorious press conference in which Xavier players called themselves gangsters — back in 2011, the decision was made to move the game to a neutral site for two seasons before reevaluating whether or not to return the game to campus.
The game’s name was also changed at that time.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 1
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)