May 12, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
The annual, intracity rivalry game between Cincinnati and Xavier is headed back to on-campus venues, according to a report from Cincinnati.com.
The game will also return to be called the Crosstown Shootout, the site reported. Xavier and Cincinnati have called a joint press conference for this evening, and the speculation is that the announcement will come then.
The rivalry dates all the way back to 1927 and has been played annually every year since 1946. Since 1989, the game had rotated between Xavier’s arena and Cincinnati’s arena.
But after an ugly brawl between the two programs — one that left players bloody and resulted in a notorious press conference in which Xavier players called themselves gangsters — back in 2011, the decision was made to move the game to a neutral site for two seasons before reevaluating whether or not to return the game to campus.
The game’s name was also changed at that time.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)