May 12, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
The annual, intracity rivalry game between Cincinnati and Xavier is headed back to on-campus venues, according to a report from Cincinnati.com.
The game will also return to be called the Crosstown Shootout, the site reported. Xavier and Cincinnati have called a joint press conference for this evening, and the speculation is that the announcement will come then.
The rivalry dates all the way back to 1927 and has been played annually every year since 1946. Since 1989, the game had rotated between Xavier’s arena and Cincinnati’s arena.
But after an ugly brawl between the two programs — one that left players bloody and resulted in a notorious press conference in which Xavier players called themselves gangsters — back in 2011, the decision was made to move the game to a neutral site for two seasons before reevaluating whether or not to return the game to campus.
The game’s name was also changed at that time.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)