May 12, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
After being left out of the 2014 NCAA Tournament in-part because of a weak non-conference schedule, SMU seems to have made a vow to play a tougher non-conference schedule for the 2014-15 season.
The Mustangs and head coach Larry Brown added another quality opponent for the next few years on Monday as it was reported by CBSSports.com‘s Jon Rothstein that SMU will play Michigan in a home-and-home series beginning this season.
Rothstein reports that the first game in the series will be played December 20th, 2014 in Ann Arbor with a return game coming to Dallas in 2015.
With SMU also having games on the road at TCU, Gonzaga and Indiana, the Mustangs will have plenty of good opponents during the non-conference portion of the season as they attempt to make the NCAA Tournament in 2015.
But back to the Michigan and SMU game for a second.
How fun is it going to be to see Brown and John Beilein go against each other? Or how about the battle of backcourts as McDonald’s All-American Emmanuel Mudiay and Nic Moore go against Derrick Walton and Caris LeVert.
This has the makings of a really fun December contest.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)