May 12, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
After being left out of the 2014 NCAA Tournament in-part because of a weak non-conference schedule, SMU seems to have made a vow to play a tougher non-conference schedule for the 2014-15 season.
The Mustangs and head coach Larry Brown added another quality opponent for the next few years on Monday as it was reported by CBSSports.com‘s Jon Rothstein that SMU will play Michigan in a home-and-home series beginning this season.
Rothstein reports that the first game in the series will be played December 20th, 2014 in Ann Arbor with a return game coming to Dallas in 2015.
With SMU also having games on the road at TCU, Gonzaga and Indiana, the Mustangs will have plenty of good opponents during the non-conference portion of the season as they attempt to make the NCAA Tournament in 2015.
But back to the Michigan and SMU game for a second.
How fun is it going to be to see Brown and John Beilein go against each other? Or how about the battle of backcourts as McDonald’s All-American Emmanuel Mudiay and Nic Moore go against Derrick Walton and Caris LeVert.
This has the makings of a really fun December contest.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)