May 13, 2014, 12:35 PM EST
For the first time since 1981, the ACC tournament title game will not take place on a Sunday.
At the league’s spring meetings in Florida, commissioner John Swofford made the announcement that the title game will be played at 8:30 p.m. on that Saturday, taking over the time slot that had previously been filled by the Big East. The tournament will run from Tuesday-to-Saturday, with the semifinals slotted into primetime on Friday, with tips at 7:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.
With the league now sitting at 15 teams and the tournament beginning on a Tuesday, the league will also be ending their regular season a day earlier. The last game will be played the Saturday before Championship Week as opposed to the Sunday.
The move will leave the Big Ten and the SEC as the two power conference that traditionally play their tournament title game on Selection Sunday, which makes things difficult for the Selection Committee as they try to churn out a bracket on time:
ACC tournament final moving from Sunday to Saturday is a huge help to the committee. Wish others would do the same.
— David Worlock (@DavidWorlock) May 13, 2014
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)