May 13, 2014, 11:24 PM EST
Just hours after it was announced that former IUPUI guard Ian Chiles would use his final season of eligibility at Tennessee, head coach Donnie Tyndall received a commitment from a player who will have four years to play in Knoxville.
Tuesday night 6-foot-8 forward Willie Carmichael announced his decision to join the program, following the head coach he signed a National Letter of Intent to play for to when Tyndall was at Southern Miss. At Wekiva High School in Apopka, Fla. this season, Carmichael averaged 13.6 points and 8.8 rebounds per game on a team that finished with a 25-5 record.
For his efforts Carmichael was a second team Class 7A all-state selection by the Orlando Sentinel.
Adding front court depth was a key for Tennessee considering the departures of Jeronne Maymon and Jarnell Stokes, with the latter deciding to forego his final season of eligibility to enter the NBA Draft. And Tyndall has certainly improved the Volunteers’ numbers in that area, with Eric McKnight, Jabari McGhee and now Carmichael joining the program.
In total Tennessee has seven newcomers committed to joining the program this summer.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (30)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)