May 13, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Following a stretch in which Alabama dropped seven of nine games in the middle of SEC play, it was announced by head coach Anthony Grant that junior forward Nick Jacobs was taking a leave of absence from the program. Grant’s words cast some doubt as to whether or not Jacobs would play another game in an Alabama uniform, and sure enough the forward did not return to the team before the end of the season.
And on Tuesday it was announced by the school that Jacobs has been released from his scholarship and will no longer be a member of the program. Jacobs will have one season of eligibility remaining at his next school.
“We want to thank Nick for his contributions to our program the past three seasons,” Grant said in the school release. “We wish him success with the next chapter of his career.”
Jacobs averaged 8.4 points and 3.5 rebounds per game in 25 contests last season, and for his career the 6-foot-8 forward posted averages of 7.3 points and 3.4 rebounds per game. Alabama returns leading rebounder Rodney Cooper (7.5 ppg, 4.9 rpg) and fellow forwards Shannon Hale (8.8, 3.6) and Jimmie Taylor (3.0, 3.3) from last season’s team, which finished with a 13-19 record (7-11 SEC).
As part of its incoming recruiting class Alabama will add freshmen Jeff Garrett and Riley Norris in the front court, and they’ll also have the services of Longwood transfer Michael Kessens. Kessens averaged 13.7 points and 8.8 rebounds per game in his lone season at Longwood, where he earned Big South All-Freshman Team honors.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)