May 13, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
On Tuesday morning, LSU head coach Johnny Jones announced that Anthony Hickey, Malik Morgan and Shane Hammink will be leaving the Tiger program.
“These three players will not be a part of the LSU program next season,” said Coach Jones. “We thank them for the contributions they made to the LSU Basketball team and certainly wish them well in their future plans.”
Hickey was the best of the three, as he was a three-year starter at the point guard spot. As a junior this past season, the Kentucky-native averaged 8.4 points and 3.7 assists while leading the conference in assist-to-turnover ratio. Those numbers were down from his sophomore season, when Hickey averaged 11.2 points, 3.8 assists and 2.9 steals.
Morgan was a 6-foot-4 wing that was a top 100 recruit coming out of high school. He started 20 games in two seasons at LSU, averaging 4.6 points and 3.1 boards as a sophomore. Hammink was a bit player that only played in 21 games last season.
The Tigers are going to have a huge front line next season, but losing Hickey means that Jones is going to have to rely that much more on JuCo transfer Josh Gray.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)