May 13, 2014, 11:54 AM EST
On Tuesday morning, LSU head coach Johnny Jones announced that Anthony Hickey, Malik Morgan and Shane Hammink will be leaving the Tiger program.
“These three players will not be a part of the LSU program next season,” said Coach Jones. “We thank them for the contributions they made to the LSU Basketball team and certainly wish them well in their future plans.”
Hickey was the best of the three, as he was a three-year starter at the point guard spot. As a junior this past season, the Kentucky-native averaged 8.4 points and 3.7 assists while leading the conference in assist-to-turnover ratio. Those numbers were down from his sophomore season, when Hickey averaged 11.2 points, 3.8 assists and 2.9 steals.
Morgan was a 6-foot-4 wing that was a top 100 recruit coming out of high school. He started 20 games in two seasons at LSU, averaging 4.6 points and 3.1 boards as a sophomore. Hammink was a bit player that only played in 21 games last season.
The Tigers are going to have a huge front line next season, but losing Hickey means that Jones is going to have to rely that much more on JuCo transfer Josh Gray.
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)