May 13, 2014, 5:06 PM EST
Early Tuesday morning it was reported by multiple outlets that UNLV forward Demetris Morant, who played in 13 games as a redshirt freshman in 2013-14, has decided to transfer. According to the reports Morant aims to transfer to a school closer to his father, who suffered a stroke, in Florida.
And according to Matt Youmans of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, there’s apparently a leader in the race for Morant’s commitment.
Morant will seek a waiver from the NCAA in hopes of being granted eligibility for the 2014-15 basketball season. He is most likely transferring to Florida Gulf Coast.
“Demetris has been granted his release and he will be transferring,” coach Dave Rice said. “His dad has been very ill. We will support a hardship waiver 100 percent. He’s a great kid, and he’s done a great job for us academically.”
Morant (0.6 ppg, 0.5 rpg) played an average of 3.8 minutes per game last season, with starters Khem Birch and Roscoe Smith and reserve Christian Wood being the leaders in minutes amongst UNLV’s front court players. UNLV did lose Birch, Smith and Carlos Lopez-Sosa at the end of the season, but with talented players such as Goodluck Okonoboh and Dwayne Morgan joining the program significant playing time would have been tough for Morant to earn.
However minutes weren’t the reason for Morant’s decision to transfer, but rather the health of his father.
For UNLV the departure means that they’ll be without another body in the front court, placing more pressure on the players who will be a part of the rotation in 2014-15. UNLV has depth on the perimeter, even if they were to lose another player at some point in the near future, but that isn’t the case inside. The question now is whether or not Rice and his staff can address the issue with a late recruit, be it a freshman or a transfer.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)