May 14, 2014, 3:40 PM EST
After averaging 17.2 points and 3.5 rebounds per game last season, former West Virginia guard Eron Harris is regarded as one of the top available transfers in college basketball. While he won’t be able to help a team immediately in game action as he’ll have to sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, Harris would be a valuable addition for a program in need of production on the perimeter.
And in a story written by Kyle Neddenriep of the Indianapolis Star on Wednesday, three Big Ten schools currently stand out in the eyes of the Indianapolis native: Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue. The report comes two days after Harris spent some time on the Purdue campus.
“I learned some new things about Purdue,” he said. “They basically let me know they wanted me and that is a good feeling. But I’m still planning to get to Michigan and Michigan State both. Their schedules and my schedule haven’t matched up very well, but we’ll work something out.”
All three schools have experienced important personnel losses on the perimeter this offseason, with both Michigan (Nik Stauskas) and Michigan State (Gary Harris) losing players to the NBA Draft. Michigan State also lost senior point guard Keith Appling from its perimeter rotation, and Purdue will have to account for the departures of both Terone (graduation) and Ronnie (transfer) Johnson.
It was also noted in the story that programs such as Auburn and Indiana have reached out to Harris, who stated that he would like to “get situated as soon as I can” at his next school.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)