May 14, 2014, 10:32 AM EST
New Maine head coach Bob Walsh has begun the process of building his coaching staff, and according to multiple reports his first hire will be someone familiar with both his program and America East. Matt O’Brien, who for the last four seasons was a member of John Becker’s staff at Vermont, will be making the move to Orono to work for the man who was his boss at Rhode Island College from 2005-07.
The hire, which has yet to be made official by Maine, was first reported by the Bangor Daily News a couple days ago. In a story written by Alex Abrami of the Burlington Free Press, Becker offered some words on the departure of his former assistant.
“He has a long-standing relationship with Walsh and he’s familiar with the league,” Becker said. “I hate to see Matt leave — he did a lot of good things for us, both personally and professionally. He was a huge asset and we are sad to see him go, but it’s a great opportunity for Matt.”
The addition of O’Brien helps in two areas, as he’s familiar with both what his new boss wants accomplished and the programs the school faces in conference play. Maine finished the 2013-14 season with a 6-23 record (4-12 America East), and the Black Bears will have to account for the departure of three of their top four scorers (all transfers) from the program.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)