May 14, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
New Maine head coach Bob Walsh has begun the process of building his coaching staff, and according to multiple reports his first hire will be someone familiar with both his program and America East. Matt O’Brien, who for the last four seasons was a member of John Becker’s staff at Vermont, will be making the move to Orono to work for the man who was his boss at Rhode Island College from 2005-07.
The hire, which has yet to be made official by Maine, was first reported by the Bangor Daily News a couple days ago. In a story written by Alex Abrami of the Burlington Free Press, Becker offered some words on the departure of his former assistant.
“He has a long-standing relationship with Walsh and he’s familiar with the league,” Becker said. “I hate to see Matt leave — he did a lot of good things for us, both personally and professionally. He was a huge asset and we are sad to see him go, but it’s a great opportunity for Matt.”
The addition of O’Brien helps in two areas, as he’s familiar with both what his new boss wants accomplished and the programs the school faces in conference play. Maine finished the 2013-14 season with a 6-23 record (4-12 America East), and the Black Bears will have to account for the departure of three of their top four scorers (all transfers) from the program.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)