May 14, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Tom Izzo is the kind of guy that wears his emotions on his sleeve.
If he’s got an issue, he’s going to tell you about it and he’s going to be very clear about why he believes it to be a problem.
That’s why what he told MLive.com about the so-called transfer epidemic is not surprising at all. More than 500 kids have transferred already this offseason, and that number looks like it will break the record of 550 that was set last offseason.
“It’s a vicious circle, and it’s one of the things I’m very disappointed in our game about to be blunt and honest with you,” Izzo said. “I think we’ve got to find a solution. You wonder why it’s harder to discipline kids nowadays, they’ve got 20 people telling them ‘Well if you don’t like it just leave.’”
“These guys have done something where they just feel like the smaller programs, if you play well there you’re going to move up or definitely as a fifth-year guy you’re going to leave.”
Here’s the irony: Izzo is in the market for a transfer!
He whiffed on former USC Trojan Byron Wesley but he’s still in the mix for former South Florida big man John Egbunu. Former West Virginia guard Eron Harris, one of the top targets in this year’s transfer period, reportedly has the Spartans in his top three. He may also lose a player or two to transfer this offseason.
I’m sure that it’s frustrating for Izzo. College basketball isn’t the same as it was when he took over at Michigan State, and he’s already made it clear that he is not a fan of the way that a coach has to recruit at the highest level of the game. That’s one of the major reasons that his name has been linked with NBA jobs that are coming open.
Does that mean he’s leaving?
I don’t know, but when you do something one way, and you do it so well for so long, it has to be frustrating to be forced into a change.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)