May 14, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Tom Izzo is the kind of guy that wears his emotions on his sleeve.
If he’s got an issue, he’s going to tell you about it and he’s going to be very clear about why he believes it to be a problem.
That’s why what he told MLive.com about the so-called transfer epidemic is not surprising at all. More than 500 kids have transferred already this offseason, and that number looks like it will break the record of 550 that was set last offseason.
“It’s a vicious circle, and it’s one of the things I’m very disappointed in our game about to be blunt and honest with you,” Izzo said. “I think we’ve got to find a solution. You wonder why it’s harder to discipline kids nowadays, they’ve got 20 people telling them ‘Well if you don’t like it just leave.'”
“These guys have done something where they just feel like the smaller programs, if you play well there you’re going to move up or definitely as a fifth-year guy you’re going to leave.”
Here’s the irony: Izzo is in the market for a transfer!
He whiffed on former USC Trojan Byron Wesley but he’s still in the mix for former South Florida big man John Egbunu. Former West Virginia guard Eron Harris, one of the top targets in this year’s transfer period, reportedly has the Spartans in his top three. He may also lose a player or two to transfer this offseason.
I’m sure that it’s frustrating for Izzo. College basketball isn’t the same as it was when he took over at Michigan State, and he’s already made it clear that he is not a fan of the way that a coach has to recruit at the highest level of the game. That’s one of the major reasons that his name has been linked with NBA jobs that are coming open.
Does that mean he’s leaving?
I don’t know, but when you do something one way, and you do it so well for so long, it has to be frustrating to be forced into a change.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 1
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)