May 14, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Tom Izzo is the kind of guy that wears his emotions on his sleeve.
If he’s got an issue, he’s going to tell you about it and he’s going to be very clear about why he believes it to be a problem.
That’s why what he told MLive.com about the so-called transfer epidemic is not surprising at all. More than 500 kids have transferred already this offseason, and that number looks like it will break the record of 550 that was set last offseason.
“It’s a vicious circle, and it’s one of the things I’m very disappointed in our game about to be blunt and honest with you,” Izzo said. “I think we’ve got to find a solution. You wonder why it’s harder to discipline kids nowadays, they’ve got 20 people telling them ‘Well if you don’t like it just leave.'”
“These guys have done something where they just feel like the smaller programs, if you play well there you’re going to move up or definitely as a fifth-year guy you’re going to leave.”
Here’s the irony: Izzo is in the market for a transfer!
He whiffed on former USC Trojan Byron Wesley but he’s still in the mix for former South Florida big man John Egbunu. Former West Virginia guard Eron Harris, one of the top targets in this year’s transfer period, reportedly has the Spartans in his top three. He may also lose a player or two to transfer this offseason.
I’m sure that it’s frustrating for Izzo. College basketball isn’t the same as it was when he took over at Michigan State, and he’s already made it clear that he is not a fan of the way that a coach has to recruit at the highest level of the game. That’s one of the major reasons that his name has been linked with NBA jobs that are coming open.
Does that mean he’s leaving?
I don’t know, but when you do something one way, and you do it so well for so long, it has to be frustrating to be forced into a change.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)