May 14, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Tom Izzo is the kind of guy that wears his emotions on his sleeve.
If he’s got an issue, he’s going to tell you about it and he’s going to be very clear about why he believes it to be a problem.
That’s why what he told MLive.com about the so-called transfer epidemic is not surprising at all. More than 500 kids have transferred already this offseason, and that number looks like it will break the record of 550 that was set last offseason.
“It’s a vicious circle, and it’s one of the things I’m very disappointed in our game about to be blunt and honest with you,” Izzo said. “I think we’ve got to find a solution. You wonder why it’s harder to discipline kids nowadays, they’ve got 20 people telling them ‘Well if you don’t like it just leave.'”
“These guys have done something where they just feel like the smaller programs, if you play well there you’re going to move up or definitely as a fifth-year guy you’re going to leave.”
Here’s the irony: Izzo is in the market for a transfer!
He whiffed on former USC Trojan Byron Wesley but he’s still in the mix for former South Florida big man John Egbunu. Former West Virginia guard Eron Harris, one of the top targets in this year’s transfer period, reportedly has the Spartans in his top three. He may also lose a player or two to transfer this offseason.
I’m sure that it’s frustrating for Izzo. College basketball isn’t the same as it was when he took over at Michigan State, and he’s already made it clear that he is not a fan of the way that a coach has to recruit at the highest level of the game. That’s one of the major reasons that his name has been linked with NBA jobs that are coming open.
Does that mean he’s leaving?
I don’t know, but when you do something one way, and you do it so well for so long, it has to be frustrating to be forced into a change.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)