May 15, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski, the all-time leader in wins in Division I men’s basketball, is also the nation’s highest paid coach according to a survey released Tuesday afternoon.
In a report from Steve Berkowitz of USA Today, Coach K hauled in almost $9.7 million in 2011. The following calendar year, Coach K’s total compensation dipped to just over $6 million dollars, though, he still topped out as the game’s highest paid coach. The 2012 calendar year was the most recent one Berkowitz used for Duke in his report, which he explains in the final paragraph.
According to USA Today:
The new return reports that Krzyzewski’s $6,043,979 in total compensation includes:
•$1,976,663 in base pay, nearly the same as 2011 and 2010.
•$2,007,000 in bonus and incentive compensation.
•$1,982,757 in retirement and other deferred compensation, nearly the same as in 2011. (This is money that Krzyzewski accrued, but was not paid, in 2012; he could receive it in a future year.)
As for the rest of college basketball, Rick Pitino, John Calipari, Bill Self and Billy Donovan rounded out the top five, in that order. Pitino and Calipari were both over $5 million with Self just under that mark. Donovan followed with $3.9 million.
In a list of 21 coaches, compiled by USA Today, each of them made at least $2 million. From Coach K to Oregon head coach Dana Altman.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)