May 15, 2014, 6:07 PM EST
Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski, the all-time leader in wins in Division I men’s basketball, is also the nation’s highest paid coach according to a survey released Tuesday afternoon.
In a report from Steve Berkowitz of USA Today, Coach K hauled in almost $9.7 million in 2011. The following calendar year, Coach K’s total compensation dipped to just over $6 million dollars, though, he still topped out as the game’s highest paid coach. The 2012 calendar year was the most recent one Berkowitz used for Duke in his report, which he explains in the final paragraph.
According to USA Today:
The new return reports that Krzyzewski’s $6,043,979 in total compensation includes:
•$1,976,663 in base pay, nearly the same as 2011 and 2010.
•$2,007,000 in bonus and incentive compensation.
•$1,982,757 in retirement and other deferred compensation, nearly the same as in 2011. (This is money that Krzyzewski accrued, but was not paid, in 2012; he could receive it in a future year.)
As for the rest of college basketball, Rick Pitino, John Calipari, Bill Self and Billy Donovan rounded out the top five, in that order. Pitino and Calipari were both over $5 million with Self just under that mark. Donovan followed with $3.9 million.
In a list of 21 coaches, compiled by USA Today, each of them made at least $2 million. From Coach K to Oregon head coach Dana Altman.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 12
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)
- Burning Questions: Who gets the last shot? (3)