May 15, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski, the all-time leader in wins in Division I men’s basketball, is also the nation’s highest paid coach according to a survey released Tuesday afternoon.
In a report from Steve Berkowitz of USA Today, Coach K hauled in almost $9.7 million in 2011. The following calendar year, Coach K’s total compensation dipped to just over $6 million dollars, though, he still topped out as the game’s highest paid coach. The 2012 calendar year was the most recent one Berkowitz used for Duke in his report, which he explains in the final paragraph.
According to USA Today:
The new return reports that Krzyzewski’s $6,043,979 in total compensation includes:
•$1,976,663 in base pay, nearly the same as 2011 and 2010.
•$2,007,000 in bonus and incentive compensation.
•$1,982,757 in retirement and other deferred compensation, nearly the same as in 2011. (This is money that Krzyzewski accrued, but was not paid, in 2012; he could receive it in a future year.)
As for the rest of college basketball, Rick Pitino, John Calipari, Bill Self and Billy Donovan rounded out the top five, in that order. Pitino and Calipari were both over $5 million with Self just under that mark. Donovan followed with $3.9 million.
In a list of 21 coaches, compiled by USA Today, each of them made at least $2 million. From Coach K to Oregon head coach Dana Altman.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)