May 15, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
West Linn High (Oregon) rising senior guard Anthony Mathis wasted little time once he received an offer from New Mexico. After receiving a scholarship offer on Wednesday, the 6-foot-3 Mathis committed to the Lobos on Thursday afternoon, announcing his decision via Twitter.
“I knew about a month ago they were going to offer, so it’s something I’ve had in the back of my head,” Mathis told The Oregonian.
He previously held offers from Portland, UNLV and Oregon State, though, he was recruited by Craig Robinson. Once he was fired, Mathis nixed the Beavers from his list.
Mathis becomes the third member of the Class of 2015 to pledge to the Lobos, joining fellow three-star commits Jordan Hunter, a point guard from Ozen High (Texas) and Corona del Sol High wing Dane Kuiper. When the trio arrive on campus in the fall of 2015, they will add depth to a perimeter that will include Cullen Neal and former Butler guard Elijah Brown, who will sit out next season due to NCAA transfer rules.
The back court has been the focus of New Mexico’s 2015 class, as the Lobos needed to revamp its front court for 2014, making up for the departures of Cameron Bairstow and Alex Kirk. Five out of six incoming commits will be part of a new-look Lobos frontline.
Mathis intends on signing his National Letter of Intent in November.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)