May 15, 2014, 4:52 PM EST
West Linn High (Oregon) rising senior guard Anthony Mathis wasted little time once he received an offer from New Mexico. After receiving a scholarship offer on Wednesday, the 6-foot-3 Mathis committed to the Lobos on Thursday afternoon, announcing his decision via Twitter.
“I knew about a month ago they were going to offer, so it’s something I’ve had in the back of my head,” Mathis told The Oregonian.
He previously held offers from Portland, UNLV and Oregon State, though, he was recruited by Craig Robinson. Once he was fired, Mathis nixed the Beavers from his list.
Mathis becomes the third member of the Class of 2015 to pledge to the Lobos, joining fellow three-star commits Jordan Hunter, a point guard from Ozen High (Texas) and Corona del Sol High wing Dane Kuiper. When the trio arrive on campus in the fall of 2015, they will add depth to a perimeter that will include Cullen Neal and former Butler guard Elijah Brown, who will sit out next season due to NCAA transfer rules.
The back court has been the focus of New Mexico’s 2015 class, as the Lobos needed to revamp its front court for 2014, making up for the departures of Cameron Bairstow and Alex Kirk. Five out of six incoming commits will be part of a new-look Lobos frontline.
Mathis intends on signing his National Letter of Intent in November.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)