May 15, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
West Linn High (Oregon) rising senior guard Anthony Mathis wasted little time once he received an offer from New Mexico. After receiving a scholarship offer on Wednesday, the 6-foot-3 Mathis committed to the Lobos on Thursday afternoon, announcing his decision via Twitter.
“I knew about a month ago they were going to offer, so it’s something I’ve had in the back of my head,” Mathis told The Oregonian.
He previously held offers from Portland, UNLV and Oregon State, though, he was recruited by Craig Robinson. Once he was fired, Mathis nixed the Beavers from his list.
Mathis becomes the third member of the Class of 2015 to pledge to the Lobos, joining fellow three-star commits Jordan Hunter, a point guard from Ozen High (Texas) and Corona del Sol High wing Dane Kuiper. When the trio arrive on campus in the fall of 2015, they will add depth to a perimeter that will include Cullen Neal and former Butler guard Elijah Brown, who will sit out next season due to NCAA transfer rules.
The back court has been the focus of New Mexico’s 2015 class, as the Lobos needed to revamp its front court for 2014, making up for the departures of Cameron Bairstow and Alex Kirk. Five out of six incoming commits will be part of a new-look Lobos frontline.
Mathis intends on signing his National Letter of Intent in November.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)