May 15, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
West Linn High (Oregon) rising senior guard Anthony Mathis wasted little time once he received an offer from New Mexico. After receiving a scholarship offer on Wednesday, the 6-foot-3 Mathis committed to the Lobos on Thursday afternoon, announcing his decision via Twitter.
“I knew about a month ago they were going to offer, so it’s something I’ve had in the back of my head,” Mathis told The Oregonian.
He previously held offers from Portland, UNLV and Oregon State, though, he was recruited by Craig Robinson. Once he was fired, Mathis nixed the Beavers from his list.
Mathis becomes the third member of the Class of 2015 to pledge to the Lobos, joining fellow three-star commits Jordan Hunter, a point guard from Ozen High (Texas) and Corona del Sol High wing Dane Kuiper. When the trio arrive on campus in the fall of 2015, they will add depth to a perimeter that will include Cullen Neal and former Butler guard Elijah Brown, who will sit out next season due to NCAA transfer rules.
The back court has been the focus of New Mexico’s 2015 class, as the Lobos needed to revamp its front court for 2014, making up for the departures of Cameron Bairstow and Alex Kirk. Five out of six incoming commits will be part of a new-look Lobos frontline.
Mathis intends on signing his National Letter of Intent in November.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)