May 16, 2014, 8:54 PM EDT
Nearly two months after completing his fourth season as the head coach at Charlotte, it was announced by the school Friday that Alan Major would be taking a medical leave of absence effective immediately. While no specific medical issues were discussed in the release, Major noted his family’s medical history as a reason why he’s taking time away from the program.
“After discussing my health with my family and our Athletic Director Judy Rose,” Major said in the release. “I have decided to take a medical leave of absence. My family has a history of heart and eye issues, and I plan to have procedures done over the next couple of months to address them.
“I want to thank Judy and her staff, my coaching staff and our players for their support and love during this process. I’m looking forward to getting back to the game. I am very blessed to be at such an incredible University.”
In the release Rose noted that Major “put his health on hold for the entire [2013-14] season,” and it’s clear that both he and the school feel the need to have these issues addressed as soon as possible. The school did not announce who would be taking over in Major’s absence.
Charlotte finished the 2013-14 season with a 17-14 overall record, going 7-9 in Conference USA play. The 49ers were playing their first season in Conference USA since 2004-05, moving back to the conference after spending eight years in the Atlantic 10.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)