May 16, 2014, 8:54 PM EST
Nearly two months after completing his fourth season as the head coach at Charlotte, it was announced by the school Friday that Alan Major would be taking a medical leave of absence effective immediately. While no specific medical issues were discussed in the release, Major noted his family’s medical history as a reason why he’s taking time away from the program.
“After discussing my health with my family and our Athletic Director Judy Rose,” Major said in the release. “I have decided to take a medical leave of absence. My family has a history of heart and eye issues, and I plan to have procedures done over the next couple of months to address them.
“I want to thank Judy and her staff, my coaching staff and our players for their support and love during this process. I’m looking forward to getting back to the game. I am very blessed to be at such an incredible University.”
In the release Rose noted that Major “put his health on hold for the entire [2013-14] season,” and it’s clear that both he and the school feel the need to have these issues addressed as soon as possible. The school did not announce who would be taking over in Major’s absence.
Charlotte finished the 2013-14 season with a 17-14 overall record, going 7-9 in Conference USA play. The 49ers were playing their first season in Conference USA since 2004-05, moving back to the conference after spending eight years in the Atlantic 10.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)