May 16, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
As a freshman at South Carolina, guard Jaylen Shaw didn’t seen a high amount of playing time. In 28 appearances the Hartsville, S.C. native played 9.7 minutes per game, posting averages of 3.0 points and 1.1 rebounds per contest. Shaw made the decision to leave Columbia at the end of the season, and on Friday the Coastal Carolina program announced that Shaw is now a Chanticleer.
Shaw will have to sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, and he’ll have three years of eligibility beginning with the 2015-16 campaign. And in the school release announcing the addition, head coach Cliff Ellis noted that Shaw was a target of the program during the initial recruiting process.
“He was one of our most sought after recruits a year ago before signing with South Carolina,” Ellis said. “He fits the mold for what we look for in a combo guard. After sitting out a year he will be able to step right in and fill the void left by Josh Cameron who will be graduating. Coach (Frank) Martin spoke very highly of Jaylen and said he had the potential to be a great player and wished him luck in the future.”
Coastal Carolina, which won the Big South’s automatic bid to the NCAA tournament this past season, will actually have to replace two of its top three scorers after the 2014-15 campaign. In addition to Cameron (13.8 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 2.5 apg) the Chanticleers will lose fellow guard Warren Gillis, who averaged 14.7 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game in 2013-14.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)