May 16, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
As a freshman at South Carolina, guard Jaylen Shaw didn’t seen a high amount of playing time. In 28 appearances the Hartsville, S.C. native played 9.7 minutes per game, posting averages of 3.0 points and 1.1 rebounds per contest. Shaw made the decision to leave Columbia at the end of the season, and on Friday the Coastal Carolina program announced that Shaw is now a Chanticleer.
Shaw will have to sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, and he’ll have three years of eligibility beginning with the 2015-16 campaign. And in the school release announcing the addition, head coach Cliff Ellis noted that Shaw was a target of the program during the initial recruiting process.
“He was one of our most sought after recruits a year ago before signing with South Carolina,” Ellis said. “He fits the mold for what we look for in a combo guard. After sitting out a year he will be able to step right in and fill the void left by Josh Cameron who will be graduating. Coach (Frank) Martin spoke very highly of Jaylen and said he had the potential to be a great player and wished him luck in the future.”
Coastal Carolina, which won the Big South’s automatic bid to the NCAA tournament this past season, will actually have to replace two of its top three scorers after the 2014-15 campaign. In addition to Cameron (13.8 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 2.5 apg) the Chanticleers will lose fellow guard Warren Gillis, who averaged 14.7 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game in 2013-14.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)