May 16, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
As a freshman at South Carolina, guard Jaylen Shaw didn’t seen a high amount of playing time. In 28 appearances the Hartsville, S.C. native played 9.7 minutes per game, posting averages of 3.0 points and 1.1 rebounds per contest. Shaw made the decision to leave Columbia at the end of the season, and on Friday the Coastal Carolina program announced that Shaw is now a Chanticleer.
Shaw will have to sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, and he’ll have three years of eligibility beginning with the 2015-16 campaign. And in the school release announcing the addition, head coach Cliff Ellis noted that Shaw was a target of the program during the initial recruiting process.
“He was one of our most sought after recruits a year ago before signing with South Carolina,” Ellis said. “He fits the mold for what we look for in a combo guard. After sitting out a year he will be able to step right in and fill the void left by Josh Cameron who will be graduating. Coach (Frank) Martin spoke very highly of Jaylen and said he had the potential to be a great player and wished him luck in the future.”
Coastal Carolina, which won the Big South’s automatic bid to the NCAA tournament this past season, will actually have to replace two of its top three scorers after the 2014-15 campaign. In addition to Cameron (13.8 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 2.5 apg) the Chanticleers will lose fellow guard Warren Gillis, who averaged 14.7 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game in 2013-14.
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 2
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)