May 16, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
After averaging 12.8 points and 4.3 rebounds in two seasons at The Citadel, 6-foot-6 guard/forward Matt Van Scyoc was forced to transfer due to an honor-code violation. Friday it was reported by Jeff Hartsell of the Charleston Post and Courier that Van Scyoc has found his next school, picking Indiana State over the College of Charleston.
Van Scyoc, who averaged 14.3 points and 5.6 rebounds per game in 2013-14, shot 43.5% from the field, 36.5% from three and 86.0% from the foul line for the Bulldogs. After sitting out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, Van Scyoc will have two seasons of eligibility remaining.
In Hartsell’s story, Van Scyoc noted how impressed he was with Greg Lansing’s program when he took his visit to the Missouri Valley Conference school.
“When I took my official visit to Indiana State, it just blew me away,” said Van Scyoc, who averaged 14.3 points and 5.3 rebounds for the Bulldogs last season. “Their coaching staff reminded me a lot of The Citadel’s. They cared about me and will work hard to help me become the best I can be. It’s a big program, a big-time conference and the opportunity to succeed there was just to much for me to pass up on.”
Indiana State finished last season with a 23-11 record, falling to Wichita State in the title game of the Missouri Valley Conference tournament. The Sycamores, led by now-graduated point guard Jake Odum, fell to Arkansas in the first round of the Postseason NIT.
Indiana State’s leading returning scorers are forward Justin Gant (10.2 ppg, 3.8 rpg) and guard Khristian Smith (10.5, 4.3), with the former being a senior in 2014-15. Smith will be a junior, meaning that the Sycamores will able to use both he and Van Scyoc on the floor in 2015-16.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)