May 16, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
Seven months ago, Rhode Island was a finalist for Brewster Academy (New Hampshire) 2014 guard Jared Terrell only to miss out. A sudden change of events in the last several weeks, and Dan Hurley has picked up a huge late commitment from the four-star recruit.
Terrell had originally committed to Oklahoma State over URI, Cincinnati and Providence. In late April, he requested his release from his National Letter of Intent. Boston College and Pittsburgh (Providence reportedly stopped recruiting him) were also pursuing Terrell once he reopened his recruitment.
He joins three-star point guard Jarvis Garrett in Rhode Island’s incoming class.
Hurely, entering his third season at URI, has the pieces for a leap up the Atlantic 10 standings this season. Terrell and Garrett will join a back court anchored by rising sophomore E.C. Matthews, the Co-A10 Rookie of the Year, and returning guards T.J. Buchanan and Biggie Minnis. The frontline also returns Gilvydas Biruta and Hassan Martin with the possibility of Jordan Hare returning to the program, according to recent reports.
The Rams were 14-18 (5-11 A-10) in 2013-2014. There was hype around URI heading into the last season, however, all it amounted to was a 10th place finish. With the growing talent on the Rams roster — and the uncertainty surrounding other conference contenders looking to replace star players — that potential could be reached next season.
Terrell was listed as the No. 66 overall recruit, according to Rivals, and was one of the best available players.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)