May 16, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
Seven months ago, Rhode Island was a finalist for Brewster Academy (New Hampshire) 2014 guard Jared Terrell only to miss out. A sudden change of events in the last several weeks, and Dan Hurley has picked up a huge late commitment from the four-star recruit.
Terrell had originally committed to Oklahoma State over URI, Cincinnati and Providence. In late April, he requested his release from his National Letter of Intent. Boston College and Pittsburgh (Providence reportedly stopped recruiting him) were also pursuing Terrell once he reopened his recruitment.
He joins three-star point guard Jarvis Garrett in Rhode Island’s incoming class.
Hurely, entering his third season at URI, has the pieces for a leap up the Atlantic 10 standings this season. Terrell and Garrett will join a back court anchored by rising sophomore E.C. Matthews, the Co-A10 Rookie of the Year, and returning guards T.J. Buchanan and Biggie Minnis. The frontline also returns Gilvydas Biruta and Hassan Martin with the possibility of Jordan Hare returning to the program, according to recent reports.
The Rams were 14-18 (5-11 A-10) in 2013-2014. There was hype around URI heading into the last season, however, all it amounted to was a 10th place finish. With the growing talent on the Rams roster — and the uncertainty surrounding other conference contenders looking to replace star players — that potential could be reached next season.
Terrell was listed as the No. 66 overall recruit, according to Rivals, and was one of the best available players.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)