May 16, 2014, 12:07 PM EST
Seven months ago, Rhode Island was a finalist for Brewster Academy (New Hampshire) 2014 guard Jared Terrell only to miss out. A sudden change of events in the last several weeks, and Dan Hurley has picked up a huge late commitment from the four-star recruit.
Terrell had originally committed to Oklahoma State over URI, Cincinnati and Providence. In late April, he requested his release from his National Letter of Intent. Boston College and Pittsburgh (Providence reportedly stopped recruiting him) were also pursuing Terrell once he reopened his recruitment.
He joins three-star point guard Jarvis Garrett in Rhode Island’s incoming class.
Hurely, entering his third season at URI, has the pieces for a leap up the Atlantic 10 standings this season. Terrell and Garrett will join a back court anchored by rising sophomore E.C. Matthews, the Co-A10 Rookie of the Year, and returning guards T.J. Buchanan and Biggie Minnis. The frontline also returns Gilvydas Biruta and Hassan Martin with the possibility of Jordan Hare returning to the program, according to recent reports.
The Rams were 14-18 (5-11 A-10) in 2013-2014. There was hype around URI heading into the last season, however, all it amounted to was a 10th place finish. With the growing talent on the Rams roster — and the uncertainty surrounding other conference contenders looking to replace star players — that potential could be reached next season.
Terrell was listed as the No. 66 overall recruit, according to Rivals, and was one of the best available players.
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)