May 16, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
Seven months ago, Rhode Island was a finalist for Brewster Academy (New Hampshire) 2014 guard Jared Terrell only to miss out. A sudden change of events in the last several weeks, and Dan Hurley has picked up a huge late commitment from the four-star recruit.
Terrell had originally committed to Oklahoma State over URI, Cincinnati and Providence. In late April, he requested his release from his National Letter of Intent. Boston College and Pittsburgh (Providence reportedly stopped recruiting him) were also pursuing Terrell once he reopened his recruitment.
He joins three-star point guard Jarvis Garrett in Rhode Island’s incoming class.
Hurely, entering his third season at URI, has the pieces for a leap up the Atlantic 10 standings this season. Terrell and Garrett will join a back court anchored by rising sophomore E.C. Matthews, the Co-A10 Rookie of the Year, and returning guards T.J. Buchanan and Biggie Minnis. The frontline also returns Gilvydas Biruta and Hassan Martin with the possibility of Jordan Hare returning to the program, according to recent reports.
The Rams were 14-18 (5-11 A-10) in 2013-2014. There was hype around URI heading into the last season, however, all it amounted to was a 10th place finish. With the growing talent on the Rams roster — and the uncertainty surrounding other conference contenders looking to replace star players — that potential could be reached next season.
Terrell was listed as the No. 66 overall recruit, according to Rivals, and was one of the best available players.
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 0
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)