May 16, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Just over a week after it was announced that South Carolina would host Oklahoma State in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge, it was reported Friday that Frank Martin’s program has added a third Big 12 foe to its 2014-15 slate.
As first reported by Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports, the Gamecocks will take on Iowa State January 3, 2015 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. In addition to the games against Oklahoma State and Iowa State, South Carolina will also host Baylor during non-conference play and those should be solid tests for the Gamecocks before they start SEC play.
While Iowa State will be looking to build on a 28-win campaign that included a Big 12 tournament title and a spot in the Sweet 16, South Carolina’s looking to take a step forward after its young roster went through a tough 2013-14. Of South Carolina’s top five scorers from a season ago just one, guard Brenton Williams, was a senior.
Villanova transfer Tyrone Johnson played in just 16 games due to injury, and he’ll be back along with rising sophomores Sindarius Thornwell, Michael Carrera and Duane Notice.
Fred Hoiberg’s Cyclones will have to account for the departures of guard DeAndre Kane and forward Melvin Ejim, but with forwards Georges Niang and Dustin Hogue returning Iowa State will have some solid pieces to move forward with. Iowa State has also added a five-member recruiting class that includes UNLV transfer Bryce Dejean-Jones and freshman big Giorgos Tsalmpouris.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 3
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)