May 16, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Just over a week after it was announced that South Carolina would host Oklahoma State in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge, it was reported Friday that Frank Martin’s program has added a third Big 12 foe to its 2014-15 slate.
As first reported by Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports, the Gamecocks will take on Iowa State January 3, 2015 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. In addition to the games against Oklahoma State and Iowa State, South Carolina will also host Baylor during non-conference play and those should be solid tests for the Gamecocks before they start SEC play.
While Iowa State will be looking to build on a 28-win campaign that included a Big 12 tournament title and a spot in the Sweet 16, South Carolina’s looking to take a step forward after its young roster went through a tough 2013-14. Of South Carolina’s top five scorers from a season ago just one, guard Brenton Williams, was a senior.
Villanova transfer Tyrone Johnson played in just 16 games due to injury, and he’ll be back along with rising sophomores Sindarius Thornwell, Michael Carrera and Duane Notice.
Fred Hoiberg’s Cyclones will have to account for the departures of guard DeAndre Kane and forward Melvin Ejim, but with forwards Georges Niang and Dustin Hogue returning Iowa State will have some solid pieces to move forward with. Iowa State has also added a five-member recruiting class that includes UNLV transfer Bryce Dejean-Jones and freshman big Giorgos Tsalmpouris.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Time lapse of Iowa State’s refurbished court (VIDEO) (1)