May 16, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Just over a week after it was announced that South Carolina would host Oklahoma State in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge, it was reported Friday that Frank Martin’s program has added a third Big 12 foe to its 2014-15 slate.
As first reported by Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports, the Gamecocks will take on Iowa State January 3, 2015 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. In addition to the games against Oklahoma State and Iowa State, South Carolina will also host Baylor during non-conference play and those should be solid tests for the Gamecocks before they start SEC play.
While Iowa State will be looking to build on a 28-win campaign that included a Big 12 tournament title and a spot in the Sweet 16, South Carolina’s looking to take a step forward after its young roster went through a tough 2013-14. Of South Carolina’s top five scorers from a season ago just one, guard Brenton Williams, was a senior.
Villanova transfer Tyrone Johnson played in just 16 games due to injury, and he’ll be back along with rising sophomores Sindarius Thornwell, Michael Carrera and Duane Notice.
Fred Hoiberg’s Cyclones will have to account for the departures of guard DeAndre Kane and forward Melvin Ejim, but with forwards Georges Niang and Dustin Hogue returning Iowa State will have some solid pieces to move forward with. Iowa State has also added a five-member recruiting class that includes UNLV transfer Bryce Dejean-Jones and freshman big Giorgos Tsalmpouris.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)