May 16, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
Missouri freshman point guard Shane Rector is leaving the program the school announced on Friday afternoon.
Rector, the Bronx native, averaged 0.5 points in only 4.6 minutes per game.
“I appreciate Coach [Kim] Anderson and the administration at Missouri for supporting me as I look for a new opportunity,” Rector said in a statement issued by the school. “This was a difficult decision because I have made some great friends during my time here. Mizzou is a great University with great people. This was just a personal decision that my family and I felt was in my best interest.”
Rector was originally a Rutgers commit, but reopened his recruitment in the wake of the Mike Rice scandal. Less than two weeks later, he was bound for Mizzou, becoming the last recruit in a five-man class that already had four-star point guard Wes Clark.
Rated as a three-star floor general by Rivals, Rector also held offers from 14 other schools ranging from nearby mid-majors to programs in the ACC, Big East and SEC.
Rector’s transfer comes on the same day that Namon Wright, a four-star shooting guard, recommitted to Missouri. Rector will have three years of eligibility remaining after he sits out the 2014-2015 season due to NCAA transfer rules.
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)