May 16, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
Missouri freshman point guard Shane Rector is leaving the program the school announced on Friday afternoon.
Rector, the Bronx native, averaged 0.5 points in only 4.6 minutes per game.
“I appreciate Coach [Kim] Anderson and the administration at Missouri for supporting me as I look for a new opportunity,” Rector said in a statement issued by the school. “This was a difficult decision because I have made some great friends during my time here. Mizzou is a great University with great people. This was just a personal decision that my family and I felt was in my best interest.”
Rector was originally a Rutgers commit, but reopened his recruitment in the wake of the Mike Rice scandal. Less than two weeks later, he was bound for Mizzou, becoming the last recruit in a five-man class that already had four-star point guard Wes Clark.
Rated as a three-star floor general by Rivals, Rector also held offers from 14 other schools ranging from nearby mid-majors to programs in the ACC, Big East and SEC.
Rector’s transfer comes on the same day that Namon Wright, a four-star shooting guard, recommitted to Missouri. Rector will have three years of eligibility remaining after he sits out the 2014-2015 season due to NCAA transfer rules.
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 5
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)