May 16, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
Missouri freshman point guard Shane Rector is leaving the program the school announced on Friday afternoon.
Rector, the Bronx native, averaged 0.5 points in only 4.6 minutes per game.
“I appreciate Coach [Kim] Anderson and the administration at Missouri for supporting me as I look for a new opportunity,” Rector said in a statement issued by the school. “This was a difficult decision because I have made some great friends during my time here. Mizzou is a great University with great people. This was just a personal decision that my family and I felt was in my best interest.”
Rector was originally a Rutgers commit, but reopened his recruitment in the wake of the Mike Rice scandal. Less than two weeks later, he was bound for Mizzou, becoming the last recruit in a five-man class that already had four-star point guard Wes Clark.
Rated as a three-star floor general by Rivals, Rector also held offers from 14 other schools ranging from nearby mid-majors to programs in the ACC, Big East and SEC.
Rector’s transfer comes on the same day that Namon Wright, a four-star shooting guard, recommitted to Missouri. Rector will have three years of eligibility remaining after he sits out the 2014-2015 season due to NCAA transfer rules.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)