May 16, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
Missouri freshman point guard Shane Rector is leaving the program the school announced on Friday afternoon.
Rector, the Bronx native, averaged 0.5 points in only 4.6 minutes per game.
“I appreciate Coach [Kim] Anderson and the administration at Missouri for supporting me as I look for a new opportunity,” Rector said in a statement issued by the school. “This was a difficult decision because I have made some great friends during my time here. Mizzou is a great University with great people. This was just a personal decision that my family and I felt was in my best interest.”
Rector was originally a Rutgers commit, but reopened his recruitment in the wake of the Mike Rice scandal. Less than two weeks later, he was bound for Mizzou, becoming the last recruit in a five-man class that already had four-star point guard Wes Clark.
Rated as a three-star floor general by Rivals, Rector also held offers from 14 other schools ranging from nearby mid-majors to programs in the ACC, Big East and SEC.
Rector’s transfer comes on the same day that Namon Wright, a four-star shooting guard, recommitted to Missouri. Rector will have three years of eligibility remaining after he sits out the 2014-2015 season due to NCAA transfer rules.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)