May 16, 2014, 10:06 PM EST
After leading Tulane to consecutive postseason appearances and winning 65 games in his four seasons at the helm, head coach Ed Conroy has been rewarded with a contract extension through 2017. The news was announced by the school Friday evening.
“I’m excited to be at Tulane as we continue to build the program,” Conroy said in the release. “I’m pleased with the progress we’ve made in the first four seasons and look forward to what we can do in the future.
“Having the opportunity to guide this program during the transition into the American Athletic Conference is something I look forward to and am very excited about what lies ahead.”
The next step for Tulane will be an important one, as the program makes the move from Conference USA to the American Athletic Conference. While some of their new conference mates will be familiar given the number of schools that were in C-USA, they’ll also be competing with the likes of UConn and Cincinnati. And some of those programs they shared time with in Conference USA are improving, most notably SMU.
Tulane’s won a total of 37 games in Conroy’s last two seasons, including the program’s first 20-win season in more than a decade back in 2012-13. Prior to that season the last time Tulane won 20 games or more was back in 1999-2000, when Perry Clark was in charge.
The Green Wave will return their top three scorers from last season, guards Louis Dabney (15.2 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.0 apg), Jay Hook (13.9, 5.1) and Jonathan Stark (14.5, 2.6, 4.2). Tulane will also return its leading rebounder in forward Trevante Drye, who grabbed 7.6 caroms per contest in 2013-14.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)