May 16, 2014, 10:06 PM EST
After leading Tulane to consecutive postseason appearances and winning 65 games in his four seasons at the helm, head coach Ed Conroy has been rewarded with a contract extension through 2017. The news was announced by the school Friday evening.
“I’m excited to be at Tulane as we continue to build the program,” Conroy said in the release. “I’m pleased with the progress we’ve made in the first four seasons and look forward to what we can do in the future.
“Having the opportunity to guide this program during the transition into the American Athletic Conference is something I look forward to and am very excited about what lies ahead.”
The next step for Tulane will be an important one, as the program makes the move from Conference USA to the American Athletic Conference. While some of their new conference mates will be familiar given the number of schools that were in C-USA, they’ll also be competing with the likes of UConn and Cincinnati. And some of those programs they shared time with in Conference USA are improving, most notably SMU.
Tulane’s won a total of 37 games in Conroy’s last two seasons, including the program’s first 20-win season in more than a decade back in 2012-13. Prior to that season the last time Tulane won 20 games or more was back in 1999-2000, when Perry Clark was in charge.
The Green Wave will return their top three scorers from last season, guards Louis Dabney (15.2 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.0 apg), Jay Hook (13.9, 5.1) and Jonathan Stark (14.5, 2.6, 4.2). Tulane will also return its leading rebounder in forward Trevante Drye, who grabbed 7.6 caroms per contest in 2013-14.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)